• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Spacers

CrawlingCritter

NAXJA Forum User
I thought about getting a set of 2" wheel spacers to give my mostly stock XJ a more agressive look. Has anyone had any issues about using these spacers on their rigs? My Jeep is a DD and I rarely take it offroad. My rims are stock aluminum. I thought I'd get some opinions before ordering the spacers. Thanks.:)

spacers aren't very cheap are they you could spend a little more and get new wheels I spent 350 on my 15x10's. and they stick way out

Mikes015.jpg

If you are stock and no lift at all you are going to rub just above the tires on the flares and possibly in the front fenders while steering. 2" is a big jump, you may get by with 1" but thats about it. I would get some 15x7 with 4.5 back spacing and call it done.

i used to run them on my old jeep before i snapped all 5 studs on one axle. they just make your axle weaker and aren't worth the money. if you're going to buy something make it rims with a bigger bs.

I hadn't thought about steering rub. My XJ is 18 years old and I've only owned her for about 5 months (and I know nothing of her history). With 165k on the clock I didn't want to put undue stress on the axles and hub assemblies etc. I think new rims (and later new tires) is the way to go. Thanks for the good advice.:wave:

mecompco said:
Why would a 2" spacer adapter put any additional stress on the studs/axle than a wheel with 2" less backspace?

they dont make your axle weak, they just add one more joint to the rolling mass and you dont get as good a contact on the hub with the wheel. They do stress your studs if they wiggle and you will snap em off if you dont check your lugs often.

I have them on my MJ. I found a vendor on Pirate who had them for about $160 for a pair. I figured it would be cheaper to get spacers than to get new wheels, and pay for dismounting/mounting/balancing fees.

http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1134/.f

I use these on the rear and I like them. I think any wider and you get into the danger zone. On the front you change the steering and stress the ball joints a little. These are suposed to be the best and check out the other stuff the make if your not familer.

I would consider getting some aftermarket steel wheels. 15x8 with a 3.75 backspace. They will not be that much more than the spacers, and will allow you for a future upgrade.

I'm planning on running 1 inch spacers in the front and 1/2 in the back of my Jeep when it's done. But 2 inch is huge. And i plan on upgrading my studs

TwistedSymphony said:
I have them on my MJ. I found a vendor on Pirate who had them for about $160 for a pair. I figured it would be cheaper to get spacers than to get new wheels, and pay for dismounting/mounting/balancing fees.
Same here. As long as you install them correctly (torque the spacer nuts just like the lugnuts, check after 100 miles and then every 3k after that) there shouldn't be any problems.

That and everyone has black steelies, I wanted to reuse the XJ "turbine" wheels I had in the shed.

You may acutally be able to get off set wheels cheaper than wheel spacers. Rock Crawler d-window 8x15s are only like $35 each.
I have a 2" set that I keep in the Jeep. I dont run them around town, because I have to correct backspacing on my wheels. But every now and then you get into the situation where you say "if only i was a little wider," or '' if only I had full width axles." Well in that situation I get out, bolt them on and hit it. It does make a difference occasionall.
6.jpg

No problems DD on spacers. I've had mine on for over a year and never have they come loose. I also used blue lock tight when I installed them. Just make sure you torque them down. Wheel spacers are nice if you want to keep you current wheels and/or don't want heavier Steel wheels. Aftermarket Alloys are pricey. Look around the for sale forums and you can get some good deals. I paid $150 shipped for 2 sets of spidertrax spacers from someone on here that were practically new. Just have to keep an eye out.

I asked a very similar question as you a couple of weeks ago....I now have spacers on my DD and not had a problem...I too used the locktite and torqued the nuts to spec. everything is "scrooby doo" so far....

i have 2 in spacers for 2 yrs now with30x11.5 tires they will rub with no lift ive got a bastard pack out of another xj and 2 in coil spacers up front had to drop the tranny mount 1 in to get rid of vibes

Back