• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel pump relay

imwally

NAXJA Forum User
Okay daughter went out to start her 92xj and it wont start. It turns over but that is it. Well this has happen before. I am at work so I ask the with to open the hood and have her pull the relay and it starts. It then shuts off due to the relay being pulled. Well she puts it back in and it starts right up. Has anyone else seen this before? Oh I will be getting a new relay on the way home.

Clean the relay socket very well.
Make sure none of the connections to the socket are broken or loose.
Put a new relay in.

If the socket or connections are corroded up then pulling the relay and putting back in might have re-established the connection.

I got sidetracked onto the pump relay once. Fooled me, it turned out to be the CPS.

imwally,

I've had this problem as well. I cleaned up all the relay sockets and replaced all the relays. It never happened again. The relay sockets tend to get dirty and make poor contacts. Likewise, inside the relays the latching contacts get dirty, corrode, or hang-up. Relays go for about $5 each, so the fix is inexpensive.

Best regards,

CJR

Back