• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5l w/5 speed opinions?

I had a MJ with this setup.

It will not win any races, that's for sure.

Decent power for a 4 popper, great on gas, it will last just about as long as the 4.0 will.

Other than that not much to say about the 2.5

it'll have 4.10 gears. runs almost 3k rpm at 70mph...the best gas mileage is normal highway driving and below.

if it's not to be used as 100% interstate driving, you'll like it.

I own an 86 cherokee with these options and I absolutely love it.

One of my TJ's is 2.5, 5 speed, 4:10's with 30x9.50's, no speed demon but great off road good around town, decent on the hiway, 20mpg. gotta be around 70 for 5th gear on the interstate if any hills are involved or headwinds.

Thanks for your opinions guys..... This guy has a 99 Cherokee w/104K with these options or lack of options.. I'd be trading a Dakota Club Cab 4x4 so not sure if I want to do it!! I already own a J10 and my son Jeepkid91 here has a 95 XJ...

Could have either...if it has ABS, it will be the D35....hopefully it has the 8.25 though...

I love mine for the most part. I use mine a lot on the highway, and wish I have the 4L so it was not run at 3k+ at 75mph, but overall great jeep. Just did a clutch on mine at 150k ish only after the bearing went bad.

JNickel101 said:
Could have either...if it has ABS, it will be the D35....hopefully it has the 8.25 though...
ABS was an option not standard equipment right? I looked at my son's window sticker on his 95 XJ and it doesn't list ABS on the options list.

I have a '86 with the 2.5L 5 speed. It is not fast but not too bad to drive around. The '86 is TBI while the '99 you are looking at will be MPI which will be a little better. They are good little motors and seem to run with little to no problems. I have 220,000 and counting on my '86. I say go for it and you could always sell it later on or give it away to someone else.

Back