• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clunk in four drive on high way

jeeping99tj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok not having a good day with the XJ. So its snowing out and while in 4H accerating it clunks like its kickin in and out of four wheel drive. I already have the vac line zipped tide on so im pretty sure its not losing vac. Its def up front but cant tell if its t- case or axle shaft. any ideas Well hell ill list another prob to maybe give me a little info. Ok well i have front brakes but no rear brakes. bleed system pretty sure i did it right. sorry for all these questions i ve done alot of research but its better to just ask.

we did front first and no clue i just bought the xj so ill try that. the brake light was on when i got it. the Tran s mount? it sounds more like the shaft kicking in and out. the u joints are all tight

when bleedig always start with the wheel farthest away from the master cylinder and move your way closer. If the master cylinder was completely dry, you may have to bleed that first.

That noise ,you have may be a stretched out transfer case drive chain, mine did & acted the same way till I replaced the chain.

Don't wait too long, mine was stretched enough to chew away at the pump, & I have read about them wearing though the case itself.

I got the chain from Napa for cost, $70 something, output seal and rear bearing(which was fubered) for another $60, I still gotta order the pump, but it's back on the road, for now.

If this seems like alot, I think you said you had 200k miles. You might be better off getting one from a junkyard with lower miles, do the swap & you can rebuild the one you have when $ allow.

Back