• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Quick Fix for Saggy headliners

sherman08

NAXJA Forum User
I don't know how common these are, but i havent heard of them till i found them at the local Wally World today. Basically there thumbtacs with a corkscrew tip. They screw into the headliner and hold it up with a "clear" top. They say the cear plastic is supposed to "blend," Whatever, it still looks like youve got tacks in your roof, but at least you dont have the fabric in your hair. Anyway thought they were worth a mention since there like a buck for a pack.

I like the way I did mine! Rip the fabric off and get showered with all that old crusty foam every time I hit a gnarly drop or a good bump.

1985xjlaredo said:
I like the way I did mine! Rip the fabric off and get showered with all that old crusty foam every time I hit a gnarly drop or a good bump.
That is bitchin' I drove my MJ around like that for a while. I don't know if it's better having the fabric always touching your head or the crap falling in your face.

Yea Im No Expert but im relativly sure there may be an aspestos factor there in those headliners

I just put up pieces of wood over the front passengers head and rear passengers head. it's a bow that fits tight on top of the trim.1/4" plyboard works great. sturdy and flexible.

Boatwrench said:
Staple gun?

X2...

After my thumb-tacks fell out and I sat on one... I decided staple gun was better....

I have those. I bought them to hold it up off my head. not as slick as thought but they work. When I get a little better weather and a helluva lot of ambition I am going to take it out and redo it. they are cheap but useful trinket. Definately not a long term solution.

Cody

I just put up pieces of wood over the front passengers head and rear passengers head. it's a bow that fits tight on top of the trim.1/4" plyboard works great. sturdy and flexible.

88XJSport said:
I took mine down, and replaced it with new material! :rof:

Whooda thunk it??

I did :)
Went to Joann's fabrics they had a pretty good match.
Looks like new.
The best way to get rid of the old foam is to brush it off with a stiff brush.

I did :)
Went to Joann's fabrics they had a pretty good match.
Looks like new.
The best way to get rid of the old foam is to brush it off with a stiff brush.

what type of adhesive/glue did you use to get it to stick? mine is starting to sag and i want to get it before it gets bad and ebarrasing, lol,

userbmx1315 said:
what type of adhesive/glue did you use to get it to stick? mine is starting to sag and i want to get it before it gets bad and ebarrasing, lol,
It only works if you get all the old glue off the board. Then you need headliner material with the foam backing, and you need "Permatex" brand headliner adhesive. Its in an orange can. I got it at Autozone.

Do not buy 3M, it will last exactly 4 hours.

Dont ask how I know these specifics......

userbmx1315 said:

I used "3M GENERAL TRIM ADHESIVE" I bought it at O'Reilly.
I did it last spring, looks great.

3m spray glue about $8.50 , need 2 cans , and fabric is about $20.00 colors avail at most fabric store is tan , maroon, black, grey. takees longer t o get out than the work to lay the fabric out .

ZacSquatch said:
X2...

After my thumb-tacks fell out and I sat on one... I decided staple gun was better....

Rumor was that you were a hard ass. Guess your just a softie.:shhh:

Get a spray adhesive made for headliners. It should say so on the can. Spray a good coat on the board and headliner. Make sure you let it tack up before sticking them together but don't let it dry.

I worked mine in thirds. Came out pretty well. Got my fabric from JoAnn's as well. Had enough left over to do the visors.

Back