• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Part time OR full time ?

TortureTested said:
I was wondering if someone could describe to me the difference between part time and full time 4wd??

In PT the front and rear driveshafts turn at the exact same rate. It can only be used on ground that allows slippage (dirt, snow, ice), or it will build up stress between the front and the rear eventually damaging and wearing components.

In FT the front and rear driveshaft are connected through a differential in the transfer case and are allowed to turn independently from each other.
It can be used any time, any place, any speed, no restrictions.

Full-time 4WD means that you can keep it in 4WD all the time if you want to.

Part-time 4WD means that you can only use it some of the time, and you cannot keep it in 4WD all day every day.

falcon556' post above explains why this is so

ehall said:
Full-time 4WD means that you can keep it in 4WD all the time if you want to.

Part-time 4WD means that you can only use it some of the time, and you cannot keep it in 4WD all day every day.

falcon556' post above explains why this is so

Wrong! You can keep part time all the time if the terrain allows it.
If you are on ground that is completely covered with snow, ice, loose ground or any other surface that allows some slippage of the tires, you can set it and forget it. Patchy snow or ice no good. Paved roads even wet are no good neither. In part time the wheels must have a way of slipping and releasing the tension that will build up between front and rear axles.
In full time the differential in the 242 takes care of that and that is why it can be used with no restrictions.
Think of the part time 231 as if you had a locker in your rear axle that forces both rear tires to always turn the same. When you make a turn the inner tire will be fighting to turn just like the outer.

is there any difference in gas mileage between full time and 2wd? if there was no difference i would run full time more often, but i never did a test. anyone know?

Serveck said:
is there any difference in gas mileage between full time and 2wd? if there was no difference i would run full time more often, but i never did a test. anyone know?

I tried to figure it out, most of the time my driving is about the same, I can't tell any difference.
All the parts turn all the time no matter what.

Somethign to keep in mind about part time: When you are driving on slippery roads at relatively higher speeds (>30) the part time will CAUSE your tires to break traction where full time won't.

Do some experimenting with this in a safe place. My introduction to the phenomon included a change of underwear.

Hypoid said:
Somethign to keep in mind about part time: When you are driving on slippery roads at relatively higher speeds (>30) the part time will CAUSE your tires to break traction where full time won't.

Do some experimenting with this in a safe place. My introduction to the phenomenon included a change of underwear.

Full time behaves better, it drives like a 2WD with the traction of a 4WD.

kennzz05 said:
ok so stupid question... could ya just swap a 242 for the 231 and get full time? be nice im sure its a dumb question thanks... ken:nono:

Yes!
Do a search you will find lots of info.

Back