• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buncha Stupid Exhaust ?'s

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
My Dynomax Super Turbo catback just came and I was impatient to open the package and figure out how to install it.
Everything seems pretty straightforward except for this little part that attaches the muffler to the cat:
PICT1561.jpg

Apparently the top part is on the cat side and the other one goes into the muffler, but what are these bolts for? Do I have buy additional hardware? The schematic that the system came with does not show how to attach it to the cat converter. Please, explain as if you are explaining it to your 10 yr old...
I was thinking that I am going to cut out the current exhaust at the point where the muffler starts, which is a few inches after the O2(?) sensor. The bottom part of the pictured device slides into the new muffler and gets clamped, but how do I secure it to the pipe right after the sensor, has not come to me yet.
Also, while on the topic of exhaust, it sais that its made from ionized metal. How long does that last? Would it help if I painted it?
I have an AZ and NAPA close by, what paint would you recommend? I assume that there is some additional light coating like grease or something on it, is the oven cleaner still the best remover (see, I searched before asking...)?
Thanks in advance.
Boris

Weld the "smooth" end (obviously!) and there should be a mate to that flange on the OEM exhaust plumbing.

I know RENIX has it - but it's a four-bolt flange, and if the studs fall out, you can just use a 3/8" bolt and nut. If possible, get brass nuts for that - try 3/8"-16 first.

Believe me, if you have a stick, you'll want to keep that bolted flange, since it is probably there to make changing the clutch MUCH easier! I've done a couple exhaust systems, and I cut that flange off of the catalytic converter and have it welded on to a bit of pipe, and then clamp that into the new cat. That way, I don't have to dork around with separating pipes or getting clamps undone when I have to pull the exhaust for whatever reason.

There are times when the OEMs get things right...

5-90

I admit, I was not able to follow.
Went outside and took a picture at the current setup:
PICT1563.jpg

Now when I look at it, I see that there is not much piping left for anything if I cut it at the place where I originally intended, that's to the right of the sensor. I also looked for a matching part to the part from the previous picture, but as you see, nowhere to be found.
Here is how the setup looks like in my living room:
PICT1567.jpg

The part in question supposed to slide (and it does) inside the opening of the muffler and get clamped. I still have no idea how to attach it to the cat converter...:confused1
Thanks
Boris

Can you lay out your new kit and take a pic? I've done my systems with all aftermarket parts (usually for other vehicles!) which makes any advice based upon that border upon useless...

Take a pic - if you can, lay everything out as it would go together (with just a little room between to note components - say, 1/2" to 1") and we can work from there.

5-90

I dont think you need that flange thing.
The new muffler goes where the old one is. You can see where it is welded.
Take the old one off, and then weld the new one back on. Or use the C clamp things, not sure what they are called.

Here, picture tells thousand words (10000 if they come from the mouth of a furriner whose English is not so premium...:laugh3: )

I did not think that all the components would fit nicely on one picture, but took it anyway:
Front.jpg

I also put the clamps next to the places where they supposed to be. Since the whole kit is basically two component thingy, I took this one to show the major connections:
From-Above.jpg

This is the diagram that came with the kit:
Diagram.jpg

I think Starboard M is right, I don't need the "adapter" flange thingy. But since I have a very little real estate to work with, I might need to slide the muffler all the way to the sensor. You think thats going to work. I don't want to weld, just clamp and am sure that no matter how tight that is, it would move against the sensor. OTH, I don't feel comfortable welding so close to the sensor. Looks pretty bad, I might not be able to take it off...
Thanks
Boris
P.S. I am left with an extra clamp...

The kit you have probably covers a number of model years and/or might be suitable for the 4 banger.... then again it might have been put together on a Monday or at quittin' time on a Friday. From the picture of your original system, the muffler is welded to the cat; you don't need the odd piece in the picture. You will have to cut off the original muffler making sure to cut right at the end of the muffler pipe. Depending on what you have to work with, you may need to use a short adapter pipe to extend the exhaust pipe a little bit farther down fromt the O2 sensor. I put one of these sytems in my 2000 and the kit didn't come with that odd piece.....it's a nice system, has a nice burble at idle and sounds good without being obnoxious (American I-6 engines, IMHO, sound like crap with a loud "performance" muffler)...not "boomy" in the cabin either (although it will drone a bit when you get on it). Stainless tip looks cool off the back end. If your XJ's like mine, there's a funky round clamp used to hold the tailpipe to the mounting bracket and it can be a bit of a challenge to deal with...but overall this system is a peice of cake to install....

Mike
00XJ

solditforajeep said:
so is this a pretty good system for the the xj, especially if I didnt want to weld?

I wouldn't say its the best exhaust system out there, but it does have the best performance per dollar spent. Why wouldn't you want to weld it? Welded exhaust systems last longer in my opinion.

Alienspecimen said:
My Dynomax Super Turbo catback just came and I was impatient to open the package and figure out how to install it.
Everything seems pretty straightforward except for this little part that attaches the muffler to the cat:
PICT1561.jpg

Apparently the top part is on the cat side and the other one goes into the muffler, but what are these bolts for? Do I have buy additional hardware? The schematic that the system came with does not show how to attach it to the cat converter. Please, explain as if you are explaining it to your 10 yr old...
I was thinking that I am going to cut out the current exhaust at the point where the muffler starts, which is a few inches after the O2(?) sensor. The bottom part of the pictured device slides into the new muffler and gets clamped, but how do I secure it to the pipe right after the sensor, has not come to me yet.
Also, while on the topic of exhaust, it sais that its made from ionized metal. How long does that last? Would it help if I painted it?
I have an AZ and NAPA close by, what paint would you recommend? I assume that there is some additional light coating like grease or something on it, is the oven cleaner still the best remover (see, I searched before asking...)?
Thanks in advance.
Boris

That flange is for 2000 and Up Jeep Cherokee's. You simply need to smash, bang and pry the old system off (a little PB Blaster may help!). The new one will sip on to the factory pipe coming off of the cat.

Curtis

crazy-apes said:
That flange is for 2000 and Up Jeep Cherokee's. You simply need to smash, bang and pry the old system off (a little PB Blaster may help!). The new one will sip on to the factory pipe coming off of the cat.

Curtis

Nope....my 2000 did not require this fitting. It probably got tossed into the box by accident at the factory. For 2000, the factory apparently quit welding together the exhaust system as all the componenets (cat, muffler, tailpipe) on my XJ are held together with clamps. You can smash and bang all you want but unless you cut the pipe, you're not gonna break that welded joint

Thank you guys for answering my questions so far.
I am going to cut at the end of the old muffler, but need to know how much of an overlap I need for the clamp to work. The reason I am asking is, because after I cut I am not going to be left with much space between the sensor and the end. Do you think this will be enough to clamp it securely?
The reason I want to avoid the welding for now is because I have not made my mind if I want a new cat converter.
Thanks

Best way will probably be to "dry fit" the system and see how it sits; look at the exhust tip and see if you can get it positioned right. You may have to buy a small extention piece from parts store to make it work. If there's doubts about the cat, why not just replace it also..... you'll end up having to do the job twice if you wait.

Back