• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OME shocks

Rod Knee

NAXJA Forum User
The quadratec website lists several old man emu shocks, both stud/eye and stud/stud. All of them are listed as "universal fit" which would seem to imply that the mounts are universally compatable. However the desciption of what "universal fit" means is contradictory, stating that the phrase applies to MOST trucks. I've also read that just two shocks are considered applicable to a Cherokee with a small lift, the N35 and N36 for front and rear, respectively. I'm having a hard time accepting the proposition that all makes/models have the same shock mounts. For example, is the distance between bolts on the upper rear mount on the XJ really the same as on a Ford Explorer (I doubt it).

The N35 reportedly has a closed length of 13.7 inches. However, when I subtract the bumpstop to axle length (3.5 inches) from my static shock length (17.00 inches), I conclude I need a front shock with a closed length of no greater than 13.5 inches to avoid overcompression. I'd rather not address the problem with bumpstop extensions and the shock travel I would lose in doing so. So I am wondering what universal fit means and whether I could use the OME "universal fit" eye/stud that has a closed length of 13.2. IOW, is there more than one front OME shock part number with mounts compatable with the XJ?

if you have more than 3 inches of lift, you'll want the N35L and N36L, they are long travel. I'm running those.

I think the reason they are mentioned as "XJ" shocks is because the 35 is stud/eye for the front mounts and the 36 is eye/eye for the rear. if you are using a shock conversion for the front, you'd need a different shock obviously.

maybe it has something to do with the valving...? I dont know much about that...but anyway, yes, the L versions of those shocks will work for bigger lifts.

Dirk at DPGOffroad.com would know a LOT more about this. Plus he has the best prices on OME stuff.

Rod Knee said:
The N35 reportedly has a closed length of 13.7 inches. However, when I subtract the bumpstop to axle length (3.5 inches) from my static shock length (17.00 inches), I conclude I need a front shock with a closed length of no greater than 13.5 inches to avoid overcompression. I'd rather not address the problem with bumpstop extensions and the shock travel I would lose in doing so.

The OME lift kit do not specify the adjustment of bumpstops so it should allow you full travel. If however you've got a lifted Jeep and you want to fit the long travel OME shocks, then you need to do the type of measurements you do.

The angle shocks mount are seldom the same angle as what the axle travels and thus you cannot compare your bumpstop to bumpstop pad measurent with the shock travel available. What you need to do is to flex your Jeep until it's on the bumpstops and then measure the shock length from mounting point to mounting point. Doing this, I'm sure you'll see that the N35 and N36 will work perfectly well without bumpstop adjustments.

gorman said:
The OME lift kit do not specify the adjustment of bumpstops so it should allow you full travel. If however you've got a lifted Jeep and you want to fit the long travel OME shocks, then you need to do the type of measurements you do.

The angle shocks mount are seldom the same angle as what the axle travels and thus you cannot compare your bumpstop to bumpstop pad measurent with the shock travel available. What you need to do is to flex your Jeep until it's on the bumpstops and then measure the shock length from mounting point to mounting point. Doing this, I'm sure you'll see that the N35 and N36 will work perfectly well without bumpstop adjustments.

I should have clarified that I have a two inch lift rather than just saying "small" lift. You are right, the angle of the shocks need to be factored into one's caculations. The rear shocks do angle 28 degrees from vertical but it is the front I am concerned about. In front the shocks are very near vertical so just a straight subtraction of distance from bumpstop to axle pad from the static shock length should tell you your maximum closed shock length, unless I'm missing something.

Anyway, I just started measuring and calculating last night after work to see if the N35 would work. I don't have access to a ramp so in consideration to your suggestion that the N35 will work, I'm going to call DPG back early next week for discussion.

Thanx guys.

xjtrailrider said:
0-3" use the N35/36

3"-5" use the "L" version

You could go a little taller with bar pin eliminaters.

I had thought about using the Rocky Road BPE with the stock shock in back to recover 1.25 inches of extensional travel from the post lift static shock length and just sticking with the front stock shocks as they are. But as long as I have been doing the suspension upgrades/mods, I figure I may as well finish the job and upgrade my shocks too.

One thing I like about the OME's is that they no longer need BPE's (according to what I've been told). As Ecksjay pointed out, best to keep your shocks short, your relative amount of compressive shock travel high, and your center of gravity low. Well, that made sense to me anyway.:wave:

Back