• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'Building' my XJ.

Vanquish

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure i'd consider it building...probably a bad word. Anyway...

I'm looking into installing the RE6025(3.5" SR w/ leafs)...I will be buying it new of course...I'm going to assume this kit will use the same coils and leafs as the super-flex kit? I Had the SF kit and and the ride was pretty harsh. Looking to avoid non-rubber bushings.

I've read that 97+ XJ's suffer a u-joint angle problem when lifted 3.5"+? Is this correct? I was looking at doing the 3.5" + 1" spacers, to hopefully run 32x11.5s. I know I could run them without spacers, but did it before and looked almost squished in...

I know that when I install the lift it has to settle. I assume installing the spacers during this time would provide me with like 6 inches of lift...

Basically i'm looking to pick minds to wether or not I could run a 3.5" kit + 1" spacer/shackle on my 2000 XJ without a SYE. I've tried searching but just get general results everytime...not relating to my key words...lol.

AW4, 231, 8.25", if it matters.

Thanks!

Yeah I understand the T-case drop...I can make that myself. I know that 1" is the norm. Is there a reason I couldn't go 1.5"?

You need an SYE.

Trim the fenders and you can run 33s.

Not looking to trim, nor run 33's lol. I still have to drive this everyday. I know that 33"s are really the safe limit with the dana30, so I would like to stay under that for now...

hey Vanquish, where about are ya? I will be in the Oshawa area over the holidays, I can show ya my 97 with 4.5" that I just put a SYE on, after running a t-case drop for a year and a bit.

If you can make up a t-case drop, try it, but if you want to DD this and don't want to chance some bad vibes you may want to save the extra and get a hack n tap SYE (thats what I put on). I think you will be fine with just a t-case drop, I never noticed any vibes and did the SYE cause I had the money to do it.

You could try the lift, and if you notice vibes remove the spacer/shackle lift and run 32's with the 3.5" (I ran 33's with some trimming so 32 should be ok for a little while) Once you have the time and money to get a SYE go for it and raise it back up.

It seems that each Jeep is different in the area of needing a SYE. The later years, 96+ IIRC almost always need something. Some get away with just a T/C drop others need the SYE and a new double carden driveshaft. It's a crap shoot. You will just have to try it and see what you can get away without doing.

When i had 3.5" on my 89 vibes were very noticeable, I'd get the sye first if you plan on daily driving. I tried dropping the t/case 1", it screwed up my motor mounts and wore out my front double cardan, and took out the t/case output seal in less that 6 months.

Thank you all for your input! I do know that no matter what, it will be going up atLEAST 3.5". i will definitely try the spacer/shackle once settled since that seems to be the only true way to get an answer.

Again, thanks guys!

i have top quality aluminum tc drops if you want to buy one...cheap too, available with a 3/16" shim to go a little lower too. PM me.

Why would you put aluminum between 2 pieces of steel, and run steel bolts through it? Doesn't make sense to me unless its coming off all the time lol thanks anyway

I have a RE 3.5" and no problems at all. I've been thinking about trying for 1 more inch with spacers, shackles and dropping the t case. Gotta keep mine on a pretty tight budget. New house + new baby + new family mobile = 1 old Jeep. Be sure to post if yours works out.

every XJ is different from all my experiences and reading. My friends 99, np231 with a 3.5" RE has some bad vibes. I got all the way to 6.5" of lift with no vibes in my 99 with a np242 as long as i pulled the front driveshaft.

Back