• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

line into radiator

furrymcmonst

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a new radiator and it arrived today. When I took the old one out, there was a line near the bottom that had a connector that operated similar to some electrical connectors; you press in some ears and it pulls apart. The part with the ears was attached to the radiator end.

The new radiator does not have this connector on the brass part sticking out as the old one does.

1.) Can I somehow remove the old connector and put it on the new radiator? I took a quick look and couldn't see how to do it. I just want to know if it's possible before I spend a lot of time on it.

2.) If the above is not possible, what other options do I have. Should this new radiator have come with the connector?

I have a new alternator, water pump, radiator, and harmonic balancer to put in. The front end is all opened up and I'm feeling like I'm in over my head. I guess this is similar to being thrown in the water to learn how to swim.

I do believe I found the cause of my squealing since the alternator was squeaking when I spun it by hand. I just hope I get it all back together correctly!

It sounds like the "bottom electrical connector" type connection you are talking about is one of the transmission cooler connections. If you jeep is an automatic it will have this, manual and it won't.

If the old radiator has this connection, the new radiator will need this connection. All you should have to do is transfer the plasctic clip part onto the new radiator's metal hose connection.

Sounds like they gave you a radiator for a manual. I would go back and exchange it.

Everything matches up from old to new other than this plastic connector being missing on the new one. I will take a closer look and try to figure out how it comes off.

That sounds to me like the temp sensor for the electic fan. It was on the radiator on the closed system then moved to the waterneck for the open system I believe.

This particular line is at the bottom of the radiator. (The one you mention is higher up and I am familiar with that one because I had to fix the fan and put the new sensor in awhile back.)

The line I'm referring to looks like it runs fromt the radiator down underneath the car toward the transmission. There is a brass looking thing that comes out of the radiator that this hose attaches to.

I did this for the first time about a month ago but I don't remember exactly what I had to do to get the clip off. It is held by a slight ridge on the tube and if you look at it carefully you can tell how to get it off. In any event, after you get it off the tube on the old radiator, you just slip it on the new one and it will lock into place. Perhaps someone will chime in who actually remembers how to do this in detail. It only took a minute and required no special tools. You probably need to use some care to keep from cracking the old plastic.

I don't know if it matters but on my '93 I believe the part of the connector with the ears was on the transmission end of the tube. There have been several recent threads concerning this and I seem to remember that there are several configurations for these connectors.

So, my comments above may not apply to your situation.

WRT the alternator, I also believe I saw a recent comment that with the radiator out, you can take the alternator out from the front. You've probably already figured this out but I thought I would mention it. I just did my alternator too for the first time, unfortunately before I did the radiator and read that thread, and it has to be WAY easier to get it out the front than from below as I did. If I'm wrong about this, just put it down to old age memory lapses!

Back