• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maybe not overheating..

Joker2669

NAXJA Forum User
I have had a problem with my 96 4Liter since warmer air started rolling in this year. On long hot drives the car may shut itself down. I notive the temp gauge is pretty high but not in the red. I know that my A/C compressor is bad. when I turn it on, it squeals like a cat in the belts. so I don't use it. I changed the thermo housing, thermostat, and fan clutch. The over heating stopped for a bit. But now I'm still having trouble randomly but more frequently when trying to start my car. I turn the key to find the temp gauge at 210 after coming out of the store or whatever, and the bitch won't start. often leaving me stranded waiting ten or so minutes until I can restart it. I have a 3 row rad on order. I have vent on my hood to let the hot air escape easily as well.
Turn over seems to be slow, however getting a jump from another car doesn't help and for info purposed it's a 3-4 mo old red top.
Yesterday I replaced the spark plugs and did an oil change. guess it wasn't them either.
Anyone have a clue?

Last edited:
Slow cranking could be the starter, but have the battery tested. Wouldn't be the first defective Optima battery I've seen or heard about.

Also, check the temp sensor for your guage problem.

Back