• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backup Light Circuit Wiring

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
I was drawing out this circuit and i think it should work but i am unsure of what diode (blue triangle) to use. I am hoping that u guys can let me know if this is even possible.

pete

Try a 1N4001. It has a voltage rating of 50v and a max current of 1A, which should be more then enough to run that relay. Any Radio Shack should stock them. Look on the side of the relay to make sure it take less then 1 amp to turn it on, (not what the secondary rating is).

Good job. tHE DIAGRAM Looks almost the same as what I've installed. The difference being I used a 15A auto resetting breaker to power it up and another diode to isolate the manual switch too. Definately use the heavy duty diode as suggested. I got my diodes and the breaker at radio shack. Have fun wiring up and using it too!

Oh, just a manual override for the reverse lights. A must have on the trail, a PITA when you have to explain it to a cop. That is why mine is hidden! :scottm:

I am an Electrical Eng student, so i try..So i will pick up the diode ad let you guys know.

As far as for the relay i picked up a normal automotive one i think that should be ok.

thanks
pete

jeepsrock said:
I am an Electrical Eng student, so i try..So i will pick up the diode ad let you guys know.

You're a EE student and you're asking us for advice for what diode to use? Don't worry, I'm just kidding you. Adding a relay is a good idea, because it takes the current load off the NSS contacts. I don't really see the diode as critical, but it will help ensure that you don't end up backfeeding something else. A 4001 or better is just fine.

Actually i just began my education as an EE student, so my knowledge is limited. The reason i am thinking the diode is important becuase when i am not in reverse the original backup circuit is not live and switching the manual overide (the switch i am adding) switch will allow current to possibly blow the original bacup circuit.

pete

Back