• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pushing with front bumper

Not sure what the quality of your bumper is, but on my '95, it's a piece of crap. You're probably lucky you didn't push it in. Other than that, you're a good neighbor.

It will be fine. If you did not receive any visual damage then your good to go. It may have pushed the bumper back just a tad bit, but should not have caused any major damage...unless you started to push him at 60 MPH!!

Your bumper should be fine, I "pushed" a guardrail with mine a while ago and no damage done, only at about 10 mph fortunately. I dented the plastic end cap in- came out to go to work the next day and it had popped itself back out. I would be more concerned with his vehicle being ok.

You're fine. I've had to do that a few times before too. Like said earlier...as long as you didn't "push" doing 60 you're gravy.

I've pushed a few rocks and trees with my stock front bumper. It's dented but no damage to anything but the bumper itself.

not to be mean but come on, is this a usless thread or what. If you broke something or f*cked something up then you'd know it. And come on if you made the dession at the time then you really don't need our aprovel as of weather or not it was a good idea.

88RIxj said:
not to be mean but come on, is this a usless thread or what. If you broke something or f*cked something up then you'd know it. And come on if you made the dession at the time then you really don't need our aprovel as of weather or not it was a good idea.

You need to chill out. You also have no right to complain as you are not a NAXJA member or a forum Supporter as the OP is. If you think it's a waste, read a different thread.

I think it's interesting that he pushed an Impala and did no damage to either vehicle.:conceited

The last time I pushed anybody it didn't do anything but bend the end cap and discolored it ('99 Sport). Then I hit a woman that ran a stop sign and it bent it back a little, completely trashed her '07 Civic Hybrid though. And the rear bumper withstood an 10 MPH impact from another woman on her cell phone. Her 92 Regal had to be towed away, I gained a scratch.:viking:

I would not make a practice of it. Your bumper could go over or under his and tear up some sheet metal real fast.
If you wish to help? Best to get some hooks and a strap. Don't need to pay for the high price stuff just for light duty tows like this.

badron said:
I would not make a practice of it. Your bumper could go over or under his and tear up some sheet metal real fast.
If you wish to help? Best to get some hooks and a strap. Don't need to pay for the high price stuff just for light duty tows like this.

I do have hooks and a strap. There isnt anything to hook it onto on the impala.

db209_2000 said:
The last time I pushed anybody it didn't do anything but bend the end cap and discolored it ('99 Sport). Then I hit a woman that ran a stop sign and it bent it back a little, completely trashed her '07 Civic Hybrid though. And the rear bumper withstood an 10 MPH impact from another woman on her cell phone. Her 92 Regal had to be towed away, I gained a scratch.:viking:

Stories like this make me smile :)

88xjchief said:
I do have hooks and a strap. There isnt anything to hook it onto on the impala.

Found this out the hard way a few years ago. I used to live up near a ski resort (Snoqualmie Pass, just off exit 52 for you Washingtonians) and was constantly pulling people out of the snow on the highway. A newish Impala was on the side of the road, with its nose buried in a snowbank with the driver standing nearby looking helpless. I looked under his car for a tow point with no luck, and went to call a tow truck. In the meantime, the owner had looked under the car and apparently found a good spot to attach my strap.

Thinking everything was okay, I hopped into my Subaru, put it in 4-Low, and yanked him out. Or rather, yanked his entire exhaust system off. He had hooked to the exhaust hanger!

Your bumper should be just fine. There isn't any pretty foamy stuff under there to get damaged, just a crap sheet metal bumper and a couple brackets. If there's no visual damage, you should be fine.

I've pushed a bunch of people with my 98XJ, pulled a few too. It messed up the plastic cap a tad but otherwise no problem. I even push started an Audi of my neighbors, once, the second time I used the TJ with it's warn bumper and two rubber duckies I made to cover the shackle tabs. :D :D :D

XJSpencer said:
You need to chill out. You also have no right to complain as you are not a NAXJA member or a forum Supporter as the OP is. If you think it's a waste, read a different thread.

I think it's interesting that he pushed an Impala and did no damage to either vehicle.:conceited

When is the "Donate" page gonna be fixed?

RichP said:
I've pushed a bunch of people with my 98XJ, pulled a few too. It messed up the plastic cap a tad but otherwise no problem. I even push started an Audi of my neighbors, once, the second time I used the TJ with it's warn bumper and two rubber duckies I made to cover the shackle tabs. :D :D :D

That must've looked hilarious. Did you make the neighborhood kids cry doing that? lol

Back