• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noise from brand new detroit/gears...normal?

northwestxj

NAXJA Member #1283
Recently got some 4.88 gears and a detroit installed in my rear 44. Gears and locker have about 120 miles on them. I am now hearing a clicking/popping noise coming from the rear when turning and even at slower speeds when decelerating. The noise is like a clicking, about every second or so.

Whats odd is that this seems to be the first time I have heard the noise. During the first 100 miles I took it pretty easy for gear break-in and did not go over about 50 mph. Still am taking it easy but the last 20 miles I put on it were tonight and it included some speeds of about 60 mph...

I just jacked up the axle, put it in neutral and the detroit seems to still lock just by spinning it by hand. One thing that I did notice when doing this is a "whinning" noise as I start to spin it by hand.

Are these the normal noises from the Detroit? I had thought that they usually only making the loud "thunk" noise once in a while and other then that should be pretty quiet. What do ya guys think?

It should be 'pretty' quiet but not totally. The sound you are hearing, the clicking, is probably the two sides operating independant of each other (aka un-locking) and the teeth clicking past each other. Most lockers will make that noise in a turn. FWIW, I can only hear mine with the windows down and when the gear oil has warmed up considerably.

The whining noise is probably normal if the engine is off because you can hear everything touching that you normally don't hear if it's running.

I would say if you feel it is excessive (happens all the time and doesn't fit the bill that it is mostly un-noticeable) take it back to the person that installed it. That's the only good reason for paying someone else to do it is that you can take problems back to them!

You can always pull the cover and take a look and see if any teeth on the ring gear or on the locker are missing and that would answer it right away.

Mitch

Double check your tire pressure. With a detroit you need to keep them within 1psi or the locker will continually try and actuate and release.

Is this a soft locker or the EZ locker, My lunch box lockers made a lot more noise then my soft lockers. All my soft locker does it chirp tires and once in a great while will get a slip and a LOUD bang. Scares me every time.

a 5spd and detroit don't tend to mesh very well. I'm used to it. i get the BANG about once a week DDing LoL

mine was too much to live with after a year, especially when my lady would drive it it scared the crap outta her. basically i wasn't hardcore enough for it and opted for the truetrac instead. detroit+5 speed= shitty

first time it happened i pulled over and pulled the diff cover. then I did a search here.

Never does it under heavy throttle/shifting

Only when shifting in normal range.

ya its actually not the loud "bang" that I'm worried about...I know they do that.

Mine is making a constant ticking/popping noise though when cornering and when decelerating.

oh, and mines an auto BTW, and its a full detroit, not lunchbox...

Brian Strickland said:
mine was too much to live with after a year, especially when my lady would drive it it scared the crap outta her. basically i wasn't hardcore enough for it and opted for the truetrac instead. detroit+5 speed= shitty
Boy, your spot on what ya said with the manual trans.
It's bad enough with a truetrac, a detroit wouldn't be fun at all on the street.

northwestxj said:
Mine is making a constant ticking/popping noise though when cornering and when decelerating.

I have had 2 detroits (1 in a 8.25 and now a 44) and neither of them have made a noise while accelerating around a corner, except for maybe a little tire squeel. BUT turning tight while off the gas is a different thing..... you will here clicking as the outside wheel is aloud to spin faster.
When you say clicking when decelerating.... do you mean in straight line? If so.... there is something wrong.
Doesnt hurt to take the cover off and have a look. 10 min work for some peace of mind!

Take it back as some one said above and have who ever did the install take a look at it because that is not normal for a full Detroit soft locker. You shouldnt hear much more noise then the "bang" once in a while. I have had mine in the front and the rear for over a year and havent heard any clicking at all...ever.

I just rebuilt/ replaced several part in my Detroit. Mine made the click click click ratcheting (like a lock-rite always does) sound for about 100 miles. Then it made 2 much louder than normal clunks and popped, then the sound went away.

Id say your probably fine.

If it doesnt go away soon you might pull the cover just to make sure, look for any metal filings, if your very concerned take it appart and look for any abnormalities. Then make sure you use a good gear oil, and make sure it doesnt have the friction adative in it.

mattyj said:
I have had 2 detroits (1 in a 8.25 and now a 44) and neither of them have made a noise while accelerating around a corner, except for maybe a little tire squeel. BUT turning tight while off the gas is a different thing..... you will here clicking as the outside wheel is aloud to spin faster.
When you say clicking when decelerating.... do you mean in straight line? If so.... there is something wrong.
Doesnt hurt to take the cover off and have a look. 10 min work for some peace of mind!

well, drove the jeep again tonight and didnt make much noise but didnt drive real far...seems as though it makes the noise when its been driven a little farther and is warmer.

As far as the decelerating...it was doing it at slow speeds after you would make a tight corner and come out of it...yes, jeep would be in almost a straight line and it would make a couple more clicks but then would stop.

I think I will pull the cover off and take a look.

Clicking when going through corners is normal.

Back