• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Distributor Swap or Fix

J-Roc

NAXJA Forum User
A couple months back, I changed my cap and rotor and one of the bolts from the stock cap seized to the aluminum mount and snapped off in there pretty much flush with the mount...

I posted a thread but did not receive much feedback, the bolt isn't accessible from the bottom unfortunately... some people suggested an EZ Out but I have been reluctant to try and extract it. Needless to say, I zip tied the broken side down and it's been holding fine for a couple months now.

With the winter here and spring wheeling arriving in a few months I want to fix it before I get any moisture in there and stall out my pos heep.

So I have two options, try and drill it out
or...

Can I use any distributor from any XJ? I found a guy parting out a '92 and I am wondering if there are any differences? The wreckers want $175 for a distributor around my neck of the woods, F that!

Edit my XJ is a 1996

Last edited:
what year is your jeep?

I would try an easy out but thats just me.....soak the broken bolt in pb blaster first.Then apply a little heat and use the easy out.

Edited original post 1996
The issue I have with the easy out... the bit is going to be so bloody small, I'm worried that it will end up snapping in the mount as well, then I will really be up shit creek. It's been so long since I've tinkered with it, I can't even remember if there is enough room for the drill.

just zip tie the cap on. or get a distributor from the righ tyear, they are not the same. I just bought one from an auto parts store, think it was 50 or so.

you bought the MOUNT for $50? My Cap is perfectly fine... it's basically brand new 5000km ago lol... the cap is zip tied on but I want to correct that...

Just an idea instead of an easy out and if you can find them the use a left handed drill bit. I know alot of people will say they don't exist but the do hard to find though. I have had to use them several times when we strip out the torx screws on our tooling. Hose it down with some wd-40 hit it with the drill in reverse and 9 times out of ten the screw or bolt will back right out. You might try either harbor freight or msc tools if you can't get them local or even better see if you can get one from a machine shop. I have no trouble getting them because that's what I do. They work better than an easyout I HAVE NOT LUCK WITH EASYOUTS!!!!!

This kind of is a little tip for everyone that reads this. It will save you guys some time and stress:)

Back