• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upgrades for a dana 35?...pointless? your opinion

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 90 jeep. 5.5 inches of lift. 31's/ going to 33's. stock axles. i want to run a locked rear, but i hear its pointless to thow any money at a 35. ive searched, and its not helping. some day down the road i do plan on putting an 8.8 in the rear, but that is wayy down the road. any good upgrades, lockers?..or what

I know a guy who has 35s on his 35...but I would worry about locking it. Also, it could run the 33s I would imagine, but I've heard of someone breaking his 35 with stock size because he spun it then caught traction. It just depends how lucky you are :p

you dont want to put money in a dana 35 my .02 is look for a dana 44 out of an xj real easy swap bolts right up. you should be able to find one somewere. or you could do a ford 9 inch thats what im doing i have the dana 35 too. but the 9 inch isnt a bolt up you have to do alittle to get it all right. good luck

my .02

For the price any worth while upgrades cost you could buy a 29 spline 8.25" diff or a 8.8" diff.... They would be the worth while upgrades.... You are better off keeping the 31" tires and buying an axle IMO.

My $0.02:

Adding much more than gear oil to a D35 is pointless...
If the 8.8 is that far done the road and your looking into swapping something. Look at the 29spline 8.25. They are a dime a dozen and are a direct swap. Although it does limit your locker choice slightly. Not that big of a deal if you don't have much money...

Last edited:
If $$$ don't grow on trees in your neck of the woods weld it and wavw for when it snaps if it does. 8.8 is the way to go, and if you look really hard you can find a factory posi good luck with your project an 8.8 swap is a pice of cake rustys sells all the biulder parts you would need.

Back