• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E3 spark plugs

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone tried those new E3 spark plugs? They claim alot in performance and economy so I wanted to see if anyone has tried them cuz I think the jeep is due for some new spark plugs its been alomost 3 years running AutoLite Iridium plugs and they have done alright but I figure if I am gonna replace them might as well go with some really good ones.

i have used bosch plats, but alot of people run champion truck plugs and i switched to them and the heep is alot happier with them.

yah i tried the plats too the jeep didnt run worse but it didnt run better either so spending the extra money on them was validated. Im looking for something to get a little better fuel economy I have already done a firepower ignition upgrade package from quadratec, I have a BanksPower header, Heddmen high flow cat 3" in 3" out, flowmaster 50 series SUV and truck muffler 3" in dual 2 1/2" out, custom dual exhaust (not for performance just looks), 99+ intake manifold, K&N FIPK cold air intake, I run Royal Purple gear oil in the axles and transfer case, and I run Royal Purple motor oil. So I want to get a little more out it if possible. Also was thinkin about a a throttle body spacer from GSP http://www.dpgoffroad.com/GSPthrottlebodyspacer.htm they look like a good product.

I just use Champions, I have had some luck with NGK V-power but they do not last long and are not exactly the right heat range as the Champs.

Ben824 said:
yah i tried the plats too the jeep didnt run worse but it didnt run better either so spending the extra money on them was validated. Im looking for something to get a little better fuel economy I have already done a firepower ignition upgrade package from quadratec, I have a BanksPower header, Heddmen high flow cat 3" in 3" out, flowmaster 50 series SUV and truck muffler 3" in dual 2 1/2" out, custom dual exhaust (not for performance just looks), 99+ intake manifold, K&N FIPK cold air intake, I run Royal Purple gear oil in the axles and transfer case, and I run Royal Purple motor oil. So I want to get a little more out it if possible. Also was thinkin about a a throttle body spacer from GSP http://www.dpgoffroad.com/GSPthrottlebodyspacer.htm they look like a good product.

if its the one i'm thinking - the fins wont do anything - actually, if they do anything, they'll hurt your MPG and not help it. GoJeep mentioned this a few days ago, but look at your intake manifold - the air goes straight to the bottom of it, then has to split off in 6 different holes. you think those 4 fins are gonna spin the air thru each intake hole and into the combustion chamber?

get a bored out throttle body and a matching bored out spacer. you'll have to raise your hood up a bit with some spacers on the hinges, to clear the spacer + FIPK.

Ben824 said:
I run Royal Purple gear oil in the axles and transfer case, and I run Royal Purple motor oil. .
hope you don't run gear oil in your transfer case, cause it take tranny fluid.

97XJ Jeeper said:
hope you don't run gear oil in your transfer case, cause it take tranny fluid.

did a little research on that one and you can run both actually doesnt really matter but i do believe i used the tranny fluid cant quite remember tho its been two years so if i did use the gear oil it hasnt hurt anything and runs just fine. Of course since my memory is a little fuzzy on that one it might have been thats what i heard and figured out that what im not supposed to do so who knows all i know is royal purple products are in there and it works great. but i still am pretty sure i put tranny fluid in it.

JNickel101 said:
if its the one i'm thinking - the fins wont do anything - actually, if they do anything, they'll hurt your MPG and not help it. GoJeep mentioned this a few days ago, but look at your intake manifold - the air goes straight to the bottom of it, then has to split off in 6 different holes. you think those 4 fins are gonna spin the air thru each intake hole and into the combustion chamber?

get a bored out throttle body and a matching bored out spacer. you'll have to raise your hood up a bit with some spacers on the hinges, to clear the spacer + FIPK.

I completely understand your theory behind that but thats just it its a theory. Now these things are out there for a reason, they obviously do soemthin otherwise all these respected names wouldn't be making these things not to mention all the real world testimonials. If you don't think they work thats great but you can't argue with actual results and real world tests. I have read a bunch of articles saying that they don't work and give you this big theory. But I have read a bunch of test articles that say the oposite not saying these spacers give you a great deal of power but they obviously do something.

Ben824 said:
I completely understand your theory behind that but thats just it its a theory. Now these things are out there for a reason, they obviously do soemthin otherwise all these respected names wouldn't be making these things not to mention all the real world testimonials. If you don't think they work thats great but you can't argue with actual results and real world tests. I have read a bunch of articles saying that they don't work and give you this big theory. But I have read a bunch of test articles that say the oposite not saying these spacers give you a great deal of power but they obviously do something.
I had a PowerAid TB spacer, did nothing. Thats real world results, my test was using it for a few months. No marked milege gains, no noticed throttle response.
Only thing I noticed, was annoying whistle.

Now granted this has fancy propeller design, but here is some theory to think about before you believe everything you read (well other than reading this)

Take a hose of water, run water thru it.
Take same hose, insert propeller like fitting into end, run same amount of water thru it.
The water can't move as fast because of the turbulance being creating by the fins.
Yes the speed can be made up by giving more skinny pedal, but then your not getting any real gains... cause your just burning more gas.

My theory may not be right, its just what seems obvious to me, which isn't always right.

Not to mention the whole 'tornado effect can't split into little wind storms for each cylinder'

Of course your going to read how these make a difference, its hard to sell something if you don't have some reading to back it up. Heck Carroll Shelby is doing ads for ZMax on TV, doesn't mean I am going to go get some cause he built kick ash cars once upon a time. People designed these not to save you money, but more to make them money. Todays market is full of people looking for the 'easy answer' and if your one of them willing to spend your money then they did their job. If I came up with a magnet to stick onto your fuel line to align the atoms which would cause higher milege I would be selling it tomorrow... but someone already did that, so they are making money on something that doesn't work, but sounds good in theory. Add to it a big name who's going to make a few $$ off it, bam, I have gold.

On the other hand, buy one, and then drive exactly the way you do now so that you have the right results. First thing I did when I got my spacer, was hit the gas and feel the G's... obviously I felt the added HP and Torque, until I realized I never drove like that before, so how could I know what it was doing. During my normal driving I felt nothing, and again, milege never changed... except when you hit the gas to feel the G's!! Then it goes down.

Last edited:
and i have heard plenty first hand accounts that they do nothing however i have a buddy with a 2005 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 with the 8.1L and he did the poweraid cold air intake and throttle body and he took it out for a drive right after the install and he said he noticed more throttle response and he talked to a guy at 4 wheel parts with the exact same truck and he said he got an extra 3-4 mpg highway now i havent talked to since so i dont know how the highway claim held up and yah thats a different car but again they wouldnt keep selling if they absolutely did nothing. and i dont read the claims made by the one trying to sell it thats stupid i follow write-ups on reviews not intended to sell or back the manufacturer. i am looking to hear from anyone who has installed one and saw somethin anything.

also to note that this thread is about the new E3 spark plugs not throttle body spacers

"he did the poweraid cold air intake and throttle body"
I did feel difference from cold air/cone filter intake. Mixing the 2 adds a variable, no way to tell which made the difference, but cone filters do allow easier air in.

true enuff,
back to plugs. I will give another vote for Champion plugs, just put new ones in tonite. Have done the Bosch +2's and +4's and tried one other I forget the name off... then found this site, read about Champs... never gone back.
Sorry no idea about E3's

give them a shot and report back, they certainly wouldn't harm anything. I also used Plat 4's, went to the champion truck plug #4412, I honestly couldn't tell the difference, the champions are cheaper in price though. As to the cold air intake, not only does it allow more air to flow, but the air is a few degrees cooler using this system. Cooler air is denser, more tightly packed oxygen molecules enter the combustion chamber, thus giving more power.

-john

I used the E3's for over a year. No measurable difference in gas mileage.

Fred

Back