• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTF? Wont start.....Searched

rooneypower

NAXJA Forum User
So it just started today. I turn the key and it sounds like the power to the starter gets cut off right away. Try to turn the key again.. it turns over, and it wont fire. Try it again, turns over and then fires, for like a second and runs for like two seconds then dies. (Note, when the engine started to run my rpm were below 500...) This time i turn the key and give it some gas, fires up immediatly.. BUT i have to keep my foot on the gas or it dies. I did this for about a minute then put my foot on the brake while keeping my foot on the gas (Kept the rpms at 1000) and put it into reverse and drove home. The whole ride home it was running fine. Get home, turn off the car. Went inside to do some stuff, went back outside to see what the hell is wrong with the xj. Again, it does the same start problems as i previously mentioned, except that now once i get the engine to run (Only can get it to do this when i give it gas while im starting it) i have the check engine light!!!

WTF!
I had the tps sensor replaced about 6-7 months ago. Does that have anything to do with it?

I am so clueless what the hell is going on with it.

P.S. oh and while i was driving home my oil pressure for about half the ride home was at or above 40 (or what ever is in the center of the gauge) no matter if i was accelerating, or stationary. Then it went back to normal....

WTF!!!

oh ya i forgot, its a 97 xj with just over 108K .

And the second time i got the jeep to start at school it immediatly ran up to 3000 rpms with out my foot on the gas. Would not go any higher than 3000 and would not go down. turned it off and started it again. Worked fine, with the problems i mentioned above of course.

sounds like a bad battery. have the battery tested and get the codes read. if the check engine light is on, there is a problem.

alright here they are..

Started with it flashing 25 at me. (in other posts this refers to the "Automatic Idle Speed (AIS) motor driver circuit shorted or target idle not reached"

Then it flashed 55 at me. (means the end of codes)

So basically, what the jeep is telling me is that AIS is Fu*%#d???

How do i fix this problem??

Re: WTF? Wont start. Now have codes...need help!!!

As i just saw from another post the info i posted about my 25 code refers to the OBD1 codes..

According to the OBD2 codes a 25 stands for, MAP sensor Voltage too Low/High MAP sensor input voltage out of limits

So which one is it?? I have a 97

Last edited:
could be a couple things, iac, map, tps, or cps. Sounds like a bad map to me. My 2000 did the same thing and it was the map.

I had this problem with my Jeep when I rescued it from a garage. Check the hard vacum line going to the map. Mine had tiny little craks in it that seriously affected the motor. It took me a week before I finally checked the vacum system when I kept thinking my sensors where on the brink. Next I would make sure the ballast resistor is resisting the correct amount, this too will cause faulty running. I just put a 10 amp fuze in mine for right now while I get off my lazy butt and go buy a new ballast.
Those vacum line kits are a 3 set deal you can buy from the dealer (if you want it to look stock) I suggest buying some nice pretty colored tubing from the local parts store for cheap and change all the lines.
Once you do that then I would check to make sure IAC is not all gummed up from the beautiful oil that our motors like to send past the head an into the intake system, if that is gummed up it will cause a problem.

Back