• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MPG

rubiconrescue

NAXJA Forum User
hey, well i recentlly got my 95 back....i have a question....

i filled up sunday when i was on E....16.5 gallons....i have driven 225 miles and had to refill today b/c i was on E......why in the hell am i in the 13 mpg range??????? im on 285's still running 3.54's and a auto tranny but it was all bypass drivin just about and i was taking it easy bc i was trying to see what my mpg would be on a tank... i wasnt expecting this. ill be tearing the jeep down Sun for a full build of new lift and new axles with 4.88's and etc.. so im not to worried about ti just curious to why i am only in the 13 range:mad:

really....there only 285's ....my toyota gets way better than 13 on 33's....i know it has 4.10's but it also has a lil 22re not exactlly 190Hp like the ckee.. beside it was mostly interstate, the tires on stock gears should be mostly stop and start trouble right? i mean it has plenty of gear to pull the 285's around(minus offroad). Hell if it wants to it can bark them. gota be somthing else up.

how are you calculating miles driven? unless you swaped out the speedo gear in the tranny to the correct size, the odometer is off because of the bigger tires

edit: transfer case gear, not tranny gear

Last edited:
it cant be off by a whole buunch can it? enought to throw it off more than 1mpg ? im caculating miles drivin by my odometer

yep, just about right. you may pick up a couple mpg with the gear swap.

I get 17-18 mpg (all highway) on 31" BFG mud's, 3 inch lift, with 3.07 gears and the 5 speed trans...but running in 4th gear most of the time:) I am approaching 201,000 miles without a rebuild. I have never had 33's on it though...

P.S. My speedo is off by about 6% according to my GPS.

285 what?
how in the hell are you guessing tire size off of 285? THAT NUMBER IS ONLY THE WIDTH OF THE TREAD!
its like saying
hey, how tall are my 11.5" wide tires?

rubiconrescue said:
285/70/16's.....width is middle.....or what most people call width...correct?

285 mm wide

70 % of tread width tall

16" wheel diameter

Check the O2 sensor, O2 sensor heater, O2 sensor heater relay and wiring, if any one is bad it will kill gas mileage. A bad TPS sensor will kill gas mileage, so will bad sensors like a bad CTS. Spark plugs, wires, fuel injectors can all have a negative effect on mileage if they are near their end of life. Also a blocked air filter or blocked exhaust, like a blocked Cat converter can kill mileage. Lots of possibilties. I had all of them when I bought my 87 XJ, took me 2 years to find and fix them all. Went from almost no power, almost no mileage, like 6 to 8 mpg at its worst, 12 mpg highway at its best, to about 14 mpg city and 20 mpg highway now. Other possibilities are draging brake pad, or an electrical problem in the TCU unit that handles electronic torque converter lock up while cruising.

88xjchief said:
With 235s I got 25MPG. All stock.

I hate you and your good mileage. :worship:

With 3.07's and 32's I get 17-18 highway, and 12-14 city.

Back