• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker or Spool

cds36

NAXJA Forum User
Here's another question. Like i have said in other posts my 2wd is being set up for speed stuff and is for weekend only not daily driver. Which woulld be better a locker like detroit or a full spool. Pro's and con's?? This will be going in a dana 44.

spool: rear tire wear will be increased, chirping on the street, more dependable (you know its locked up). I have one in mine. I drive it to and from the trails. .....(no trailer)

this should be in Tech forum.

If you want to save your tires, get a detroit

Go spool, it's a heckuva lot cheaper and will never wear out. With just weekend use you should be fine! A detroit is really nice, but comes with a hefty price and does allow SOME slippage to differentiate turns, etc. Besides, if you don't like the spool yer only out like 60.00 and you can always sell it here haha.

jeeperjohn said:
Spools are cheap but if you drive on road at all I would go Aussie or lockright. A spool is too unpredictable on the road.
dude I miss my spool having a detroit sucks monkey balls when it decides to unload during a turn and it yanks you acros lanes of traffic and they do break and wear out. my spool always did the same thing every time and in every situation it was dependable and a hell of a lot more comfortable. I wont let my wife drive my YJ with the detroit in the rear but she drove the xj with a spool 100 miles a week no problem

Right on appreciate all your input. Looks like SPOOL it is. I would think differently if i drove it more than weekend only.

The axle & tire size are you running should be taken into consideration, if you are going to drive a spool on the street, or you might be in for some axle shaft breakage!

Those that have ridden with me know that I'm not light on it. I run a detroit. I've driven everything. unpredicable. The detroit is more predectable than a spool in my opinion. cuz you don't always know which wheel is gonna scrub. a detroit, you know that if your on the power in a turn you have to pull the turn a little tighter, then when you let off the power you have to relax your pull on the wheel a scosch. I vote detroit. the only way to fucker it up is to pull a Keyung... Spools are cheap but they drive like crap. Either one is gonna have problems if you bend the housing. THe only option thats safe on a bent housing is to leave the spiders in it.

Rawbrown said:
Those that have ridden with me know that I'm not light on it. I run a detroit. I've driven everything. unpredicable. The detroit is more predectable than a spool in my opinion. cuz you don't always know which wheel is gonna scrub. a detroit, you know that if your on the power in a turn you have to pull the turn a little tighter, then when you let off the power you have to relax your pull on the wheel a scosch. I vote detroit. the only way to fucker it up is to pull a Kyung... Spools are cheap but they drive like crap. Either one is gonna have problems if you bend the housing. THe only option thats safe on a bent housing is to leave the spiders in it.
Dude, who said anything about bent housings and me???!!!:wierd: :passgas:

bike2.gif
score010.gif

signs009.gif

The way I read your post, the decision is a no brainer.

Key words in your post.
1. "2wd set up for speed".
Doesn't look like your going to be in many slow tight turns.
2. "Weekend only, not a daily driver".
I gather by this that any street driving, if any, will be on the way to the trail.

A spool in your application would be cheep, reliable, and reasonably trouble
free

Back