• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ driveshaft on an XJ

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
can i use a ZJ front drive shaft with a RE hack-n-tap on my 98 xj? c-8.25 axle i was told it was longer and stronger

It depends on what tranny you have and what size lift you're on.

measure from center of ujoint to center of ujoint on the shaft then compare measurements taken from center of pinion yoke to center of t-case yoke....

thats the only way to be certain....somebody on here has the stock ds length chart for grands handy???

I had a zj shaft (4.0, NP242, auto) and on my jeep (4.5", 4.0L, NP231, AW4, 8.25) the shaft has no slip.... the shaft was to long.

outlander said:
It depends on what tranny you have and what size lift you're on.

measure from center of ujoint to center of ujoint on the shaft then compare measurements taken from center of pinion yoke to center of t-case yoke....

thats the only way to be certain....somebody on here has the stock ds length chart for grands handy???

Why yes I do....

http://www.crownautomotive.net/catalog/axle/propeller_shafts2.html

eleventy billion and 3....

for most lifts under 8 inches i guess it's too long. I measured it out to be something like 33 inches when you need it to be 31 inches.

I have the same set up as you, 4.0L AW4 NP231 C8.25, but it's just too long. You have to use an XJ front DS from an XJ w/ a 4.0L and AW4. The shaft is something like 31 inches.

I'm doing the install on this next week. If you want me to verify then send me a PM.

anyone ever try it with a 5-speed xj? i'm runnning an xj auto front shaft on my H&T but i had to leave a little extra length on the t-case shaft and the ds is extended pretty far. i think i'm going to try and find a GC shaft because the ax-15 is shorter than the aw4 and i need a longer shaft.

yeah, if you have the AX15 with a 4.0L the ZJ front shaft is what you should use.

Simply:

Manual - ZJ front shaft
Automatic - XJ front shaft

I have a ZJ front shaft... But I'm sure it wouldn't be reasonable to ship it from NC to ME. That is unless you feel like waiting until next summer when I go on vacation in Maine.

Anyone ever have an XJ shaft lengthened? I'm guessing that would be an option too, if you had access to a driveline shop and a hookup :)

Your best bet would probably be to just measure what length you need, then check that link I posted above. Tons of different options for length, just fine the one with a collapsed length slightly shorter than what you measured out, and try to find that model/spec in a JY.

Last edited:
yup I had to have mine lengthened. I am running an auto front shaft in the rear of my 89 5speed w/5.5" lift.Had to take the shaft in to a driveline shop to get it lengthened a couple inches(wish I would've know about the zj shaft at the time)cost me $80

yeah, i got a ZJ shaft for anyone in or around NC that will give me 30 bucks for it... And I won't sell it to you unless you have an AX15.

Back