• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating!!!!!!1

alaska3452000@yaho

NAXJA Forum User
Hey i am hoping some one can help me. I used to have a 1989 limited cherokee but i just returned from iraq and i now have a 1990 laredo. I have a 6.5 in lift and i am running 33's with 15x 10in rims. In both cherokees i was overheating all the time when going up long hills. Some friends of mine that also have or had cherokees said they have had the same problem. I have been told to get a 3 coil radiator and that should fix the problem. i am driving the truck from here in Alaska back to Washington when i get out of the Army early next year so i need the problem fixed by then. Anyone else have the same problem and know how to fix it? Any help would be appreciated.

Its three core not three coil that you were referring too but thats not neccessarily going to fix your problem.

It could be a lot of things that are causing it to run hot, but if your radiator isnt working effectively it will certainly cause the problem you described. Also, you have the older closed system and if your pressure tank and/or cap arent sealing properly it will cause you to overheat.

Are you running 33s on stock gears? That puts a lot of strain on things and will make it run hotter. Are you running a transmission cooler? If not you're causing it to heat up and you will destroy your transmission over time and the extra heat will also cause the engine to run warmer.

yeah i am still running the stock gears (3:55) but i also had the same problem in my cherokee i had before this one and that one was totally stock. It also has a home made resevoir tank that the guy i bought it from put in. It is a copper tank and i think the cap is good but im no positive. Ill have to check that.

Back