• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with flex plate and torque converter!!

Kriph

NAXJA Forum User
To start off it's a 88 with a 4.0 and AW4.

My problem is for a while my jeep was running like crap and from the symptoms it seemed like it was CPS. I replaced the CPS, but there was no change. It soon got to the point that it would hardly even run at all. The jeep sat for a while till I got a chance to look at, and the next time I went to start it there was a grinding sound from the transmission area. Sure enough the flex plate was hitting the starter. Seeing this I assumed that this was also causing the poor running comdition since the CPS reads the ring on the flex plate. To make a long story short when I pulled the tranny out about 3", a large piece of machined metal fell out. I soon realized that it was the centering pin from the front of the torque converter. I also noticed that there was a crack on the flex plate right outside the mounting bolts. As I lossened the bolts I realized that the crack went all the way around the center of the flex plate, and the flex plate was not attached to the crank shaft.

I need to know how to orient the new flex plate on the crank shaft and info on installing the new torque converter, like filling it with fluid ect.

I'm also thinking that this was causing the ticking sound from my engine that I could not find.

I believe the flex plate only goes on one way the bolt hole wont line up but one way. You can fill the tourque converter then install it in the trans and fill the rest from the dip stick.
Here is a link to the specs on trans and fluid!!
HOPE THIS HELPS!

Last edited:
SOUTHTEXASXJ said:
I believe the flex plate only goes on one way the bolt hole wont line up but one way. You can fill the tourque converter then install it in the trans and fill the rest from the dip stick.
Here is a link to the specs on trans and fluid!!
HOPE THIS HELPS!
http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/transmission.htm

I would just like to add the link above is for WJ's not XJ's. The WJ's do not have the AW4. I believe they have a Chrysler tranny. Chrysler tranny's take ATF+2, ATF+3 and ATF+4 fluid. The AW4 takes dexron III fluid. There is a BIG difference. Just wanted to get that oot there.:peace:

Thanks for the info. Can anyone confirm that the flex plate can only be mounted one way? And does know the exact amount of fluid to put in the torque converter before mounting it? I don't want to put in to much so that it pores out while mounting it or to little so that it causes damage at start up. It seemed to me that when I took of the old one it was about half full.

I don't think too little fluid in the torque converter will damage it, it just won't go anywhere. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

As far as torque converter goes I have found between adding a quart, to no fluid at all because the pump will fill it.

Back