• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 front axle help

jeep4me

NAXJA Forum User
1987 Cherokee Laredo (donor), 4.0L (strong), 4WD (good tcase), automatic (good), 2dr (all glass is good). Was our daily driver until end of last month when exhaust manifold cracked at collector (oh so commonly) and CA tags expired.
Locals to SFV (gotta bring a torch and welder, etc) want to spend a day tearing up the '87 for parts you want or need while helping me fix my '88 (front axle)? I'll buy the beer (sodas and juices too), lunch, and will even grill up an evening meal as well. Am also willing to barter my computer services for the same help.

This weekend will be tough but I will see what I can do. Sat I have a wedding and on Sunday I might be busy. Fri after work? I am a novice welder but am more than happy to lend a hand. In regards to my jeep, yeah I just swapped a buddy's coil and think I found the problem. You know anyone with a good coil they are willing to give up?? lol

Got a good spare stock coil for ya, no problem. You gotta pick it up though. What I'm looking at is basically cutting off the CA axle mount plates and welding in new ones (bending originals back would likely make them weaker). Other option is a D30 swap from the '87 to the '88 which seems like WAY TOO MUCH HASSLE (since it is just another stock D30 anyway). No huge rush on all this, have a couple of weeks to coordinate everything. '88 needs to go for smog and tags on or before the 1st.
And yeah, stop by and pick up a coil when you can ;)

what rear end is in the 87???????

Rear is stock D35, needs a new outer seal passenger side and possibly axle bearing in near future same side as well. Otherwise it is servicable and usable as is.

Back