• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil spits out of ARB compressor

Bichi

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 XJ with a Super 30 in front and a Super 35 in the back, both with an ARB air locker (104 and 105) and a 4.56 R&P. During my last trip I heard an unusual pressure release noise from the compressor, after some some investigation I saw that there was some oil coming out of the compressor. I think it is returning from the front locker but do not know know exactly or from where in the comressor. It is a thick oil, that is why I am assuming it is coming from the locker and only when I release the front locker.

The answer I got from the mehanic is that I have burnt a seal because I have driven too fast my XJ. I was driving between 50 and80 mph for 1h to get to a local spot. Does this make sense? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot

Mine does the same thing. The info that I have from researching the problem is that the o-rings on the ARB are worn. I have read experiences of some who have continued to use theirs in this condition for some time with no ill effects. For now, I think I'm just going to rig up some way to capture the oil so it's not so messy.

meatplow5150 said:
Mine does the same thing. The info that I have from researching the problem is that the o-rings on the ARB are worn. I have read experiences of some who have continued to use theirs in this condition for some time with no ill effects. For now, I think I'm just going to rig up some way to capture the oil so it's not so messy.

I used some baby wipes to cover the solenoid and I will use a thicker oil to try and decrease the problem.

Thanks for the feedback.

The answer I got was from the ARB install instructions. If when the locker was installed the installer did not notch the passenger side bearing journal the oil does not drain from behind seal housing properly. When you release the air it causes a vacuum which draws a little oil through the seal and out the air line.

Now I'm not saying you don't have a bad o ring but when I rebuilt my front dif (with a super 30) I noticed the journal was not notched. I cut the notch in and never had a problem with oil coming out the air line again.

I had to have my front arb locker reinstalled twice by different peolpe. The last guy correctly set the preload on carrier bearings which holds the seal housing tight. It dosnt leak any more. Apparently it needs to be done properly or it will leak.

Back