• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 alloy vs factory

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
For those of you wondering and that dont know. The factory shafts kneck down right before the splines.

yukonalloy003.jpg

The yukon's I jsut got do not.

yukonalloy002.jpg

Those are the same shaft for the passanger side of my D44.

My stock shaft's don't kneck down...? It's a 87' XJ D44, pulled it from a junkyard jeep myself, and I doubt it had ever been opened before.

Ghost said:
For those of you wondering and that dont know. The factory shafts kneck down right before the splines.

yukonalloy003.jpg

The yukon's I jsut got do not.

yukonalloy002.jpg

Those are the same shaft for the passanger side of my D44.

Those do have a slight amount of neckdown after the splines. I'm not a fan of the long spline length. I will be using superior axles for mine.

yellowta said:
My stock shaft's don't kneck down...? It's a 87' XJ D44, pulled it from a junkyard jeep myself, and I doubt it had ever been opened before.

That's a front D44 shaft.

TNT said:
Superior front axles

front-axles.gif

Good luck... from what I've been hearing in our area... there's guys who have been waiting 3 months for shafts and still nothing...

I ordered Alloy USA shafts and they arrived in 5 business days.... from CA to NC... @ $495.00 shipped.....

IMO they are the best axles available. That alone makes them worth the wait.

I was concidering them but have seen somethings I don't like on some of them.

The Yukons are a good choice, but after seeing spline lengths like that and not seeing the corrosion resistant black oxide finish I read they have it makes me wonder????

My custom alloy usa ones took two weeks to arrive at my doorstep and they are under warrenty for 10 years no questions asked....as long as I don't use OX joints....not an issue for me, I'm using Longfields.

i had some of thoes...

stp82165.jpg

stp82162.jpg

stp82160.jpg

both sides too...

and had this with the yukons -
sf32.jpg

as much as it pains me to agree with TNT...
I am now running superior outers, CTM's, and Warn inners... and have the Yukons as spares...

I bought them directly from Randy's, and all of it was warrantied, but it still sucks to have issues with a $600 set of shafts and joints...

Starboard M said:
While its for D60 axles, same principle applies.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=575253

somewhat...

the long side being of a thinner OD allows for the same strength as the short side.

angle of twist = Torque * Length / (Shear Modulus * Polar moment of inirtia)
Ø=TL/GIP

Shear Modulus (G) is given for the material...

Polar moment of inirtia for solid round stock is given by pi*diamiter^4 / 32
IP=пd^4/32

since the material is the same, and we want the same deflection for the same torque, we have to change the polar moment of inirita - AKA make the dimaiter smaller to compensate for the increased length.

The trick thing to do would be to make both shafts the same diamiter, but out of different materials, or with slightly different heat treating to alter not the diamiter, but to alter the shear modulus, then almost no end user whould have any idea what is going on :read:

The spicer shafts neck down at the splines, not allong the total length. Dana did this because making the shaft the same size all the way through, makes the splines the weakest part (minor diamiter of the splines being smaller than the rest of the shaft) and should the shaft fail, the stress concentration right there would cause the shaft to break AT the splines where they engage the side gear, and could cause other parts to fail based on the breakage... the neckdown is to have a point of failure that is not internal to the diff...

XJ_ranger said:
the long side being of a thinner OD allows for the same strength as the short side.

since the material is the same, and we want the same deflection for the same torque, we have to change the polar moment of inirita

Matching the angle of deflection isn't the same as matching the strength...

XJ_ranger said:
somewhat...

angle of twist = Torque * Length / (Shear Modulus * Polar moment of inirtia)
Ø=TL/GIP

Shear Modulus (G) is given for the material...

Polar moment of inirtia for solid round stock is given by pi*diamiter^4 / 32
IP=пd^4/32

since the material is the same, and we want the same deflection for the same torque, we have to change the polar moment of inirita - AKA make the dimaiter smaller to compensate for the increased length.

The trick thing to do would be to make both shafts the same diamiter, but out of different materials, or with slightly different heat treating to alter not the diamiter, but to alter the shear modulus, then almost no end user whould have any idea what is going on :read:

The spicer shafts neck down at the splines, not allong the total length. Dana did this because making the shaft the same size all the way through, makes the splines the weakest part (minor diamiter of the splines being smaller than the rest of the shaft) and should the shaft fail, the stress concentration right there would cause the shaft to break AT the splines where they engage the side gear, and could cause other parts to fail based on the breakage... the neckdown is to have a point of failure that is not internal to the diff...
You lost me at the Ø. Damn engineers making up all these fancy little symbols. :gag:

Basically what your saying is that Dana built in a fuse so that the axle shaft would not snap at the splines causing a headache to remove, but rather outside the splines which is easier to remove?

I can understanding using this principle for the inner shaft, but whats the point on the stub shaft? Removing the shaft/broken part would not be as much as an effort as it would at the carrier side. Seems it would build in a fuse that is not needed, making for a weaker shaft.

But your equations might have answered those statements. :doh:

vetteboy said:
Matching the angle of deflection isn't the same as matching the strength...

matching the angle of diflection at the same torque is with the same material is :D

XJ_ranger said:
matching the angle of diflection at the same torque is with the same material is :D

Nah, the length doesn't figure into stress analysis at all. Stress from pure torque is gonna be T*r/J regardless of length.

If you've got a bar one foot long and a bar of the same material/section two feet long, and apply the same torque to each, the longer one will twist twice as much. But you'll still have the same shear stress in each.

sure it does -

the longer bar of the same size and material can take more load (will twist more) before failure...

right?

XJ_ranger said:
sure it does -

the longer bar of the same size and material can take more load (will twist more) before failure...

right?

Not if you're loading it purely in torsion. The stress is assumed to be uniform throughout the whole piece (the magnitude of it being T*r/J), and if it look at it from just a little stress element point of view, it's the same problem. There's just more of them stacked up so it twists more at the end.

So the stress has nothing to do with the material or the length, just the loading & cross section. The material properties are what give you the G value for how much it will twist, and also how much stress it can handle.

Back