• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

impatiant stan

kahaikapu

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all i gotta delima goin on and would like some insight
Ive been runnin my 87 xj for 7 years and shes been beat up and showing signs of major rust...So like any impatiant xj fan a 2001 came into my dealer ship 6 years old with 61000 mi on her and shes black so i didnt hesitate to by her
After purchasing her i read that the 2001 may have head problems soon (o331) great lol
Anyways the 87 has a pegoit and the 2001 has the aw4..great upgrade i thought no stalling,shifting etc....
I want to put my 87 suspension on the 2001 but it just dawned on me the length
of the drive shafts might be a factor and modifying my woody shaft may be the only set back i can see..
any one has done this if you could please drop some advise
dang kinda bumed...aloha stan

the suspension should swap over, difference in the front of the 87 and 01 is that the 01 is a low pinion. with the 01, you may get vibs dpending on the size of the lift and may need a SYE.

as for the rear driveshaft. the 87 may be too long because it has the 5sp and the dana35(unless it has a d44) which has a shorter pinion than the 8.25, unless you have the d35. basically, you need to give more info on what you have for your driveline. its not a big deal to get a shaft shortened or lengthened. if you need a SYE, you will need a new shaft or use a front shaft.

ALOHA 87xj thx for replying..the 87 2 door has a sye and im running a factory dana 44 in the rear with about a 33 inch rear woody shaft..the 2001 4 door has a hi pinion in the frt(must been put on by accident lol ) that i would like to throw my lunch box and gear into so i dont have to mess with those vacumn disconnect and also the 2001 has better shafts ? thx have a great day Stan

Back