• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upper shock mount conversions

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am debating which style of upper shock conversion to go with.....JKS or T&J. The OEM upper shock mount is weak since it is basically fastened through the flimsy sheet metal, so using the JKS, Warrior or Rusty's design accomplishes the conversion but it still mounts using the OEM design. T&J's designs seems far superior but don't know if it is an overkill (and more $$$). Anyone notice any wear using the JKS, etc's designs using the stock mounting design?

here is T&J in case some of you haven't seen it:

http://tandjperformance.com/products-bpp-xj-shockbracetconversion.htm

TIA

Seems like most people who use the T&J ones are doing the go fast stuff, which obviously puts more strain on the shock mounts.

Personally I have not heard of a failed upper shock mount. Not saying much though. The main reason I can see for going with the different mount is the large amount of shocks available for that style, rather then the stock style.

I have the t&j one. I run bilstien 7100 shocks and find I have TONS of fitment problems (resevoir lines). I may pull them off and go to JKS ones later (which i've already purchased).

I'm not so big on the go fast (I like to go fast, but I build the rig for rocks and trails), I went with these shocks because they had the most travel on the shortest body.

shock1.jpg

How do those mount? Do they mount through the exisiting upper hole and then mount through another drilled out hole in the side? Also, did you notice any "cons" since you moved the shock mount down (what, about an inch or so)?

They in fact use the upper hole and drill through the side, yes.

I can't say that i noticed any cons, but at the same time that I put those in, i put in the 7100's new and a new custom axle housing with all new mounts. Moving the upper mount down an inch didn't have any real effect.

My lower mount may be a little lower than yours, but I'm running a 12" travel shock, I have 6.5" uptravel and 5.5" downtravel. When the shock maxes out, my coil has unloaded just far enough to put a finger over it.

cal said:
I have the t&j one. I run bilstien 7100 shocks and find I have TONS of fitment problems (resevoir lines). I may pull them off and go to JKS ones later (which i've already purchased).

I'm not so big on the go fast (I like to go fast, but I build the rig for rocks and trails), I went with these shocks because they had the most travel on the shortest body.
If you could find a banjo bolt that fits the reservoir port it would help with the hose clearance issues.

It would have to be a banjo nut, wouldnt it? ;) It works ok as it is for the moment, not prime but nothing is rubbing. I think I'm going to change the mounts at both ends here pretty soon.

2001XJ said:
I am debating which style of upper shock conversion to go with.....JKS or T&J. The OEM upper shock mount is weak since it is basically fastened through the flimsy sheet metal, so using the JKS, Warrior or Rusty's design accomplishes the conversion but it still mounts using the OEM design. T&J's designs seems far superior but don't know if it is an overkill (and more $$$). Anyone notice any wear using the JKS, etc's designs using the stock mounting design?

here is T&J in case some of you haven't seen it:

http://tandjperformance.com/products-bpp-xj-shockbracetconversion.htm

TIA

I've never heard of a failure of the upper shock mount area. Most go to the conversion so they can use a shock with the eye top mount, rather than just for strength. I have the JKS, and I haul ass, and they are fine.

Goatman said:
I've never heard of a failure of the upper shock mount area. Most go to the conversion so they can use a shock with the eye top mount, rather than just for strength. I have the JKS, and I haul ass, and they are fine.

thanks, I will keep that in mine, besides they are cheaper!. I have also been thinking of mocking the t & J designs for a project to do.

Back