• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what locker to use ??and ford 9 inch brake question

ranger125

NAXJA Forum User
hey fellas i am doing a full width hp 44 and 9 inch swap and i have been contemplating what locker to use . this rig gets alot of hiway use but isnt a dd but close , so i can get a detroit for 600 for the 9 and detroit lunch box for the front for 425 ,what do u think ?? also i dont wanna go aus locker cause of price and air lines . and also i need some ford 9 inch drum brake parts is there any other axle with simalar brake parts?? thanks fellas

I have ARB air-lockers in my rig and I love them. That being said, I am building my 2nd XJ and I will be going with a detroit in the back and a Tru-Trac up front. I had a lunchbox locker in a previous Jeep and I just didn't care for the steering. From everything I've read and heard, the Tru-Trac is un-noticeable on steering while giving 9/10 locker performance. It's also relatively inexpensive. The ARB's are really nice, but i'm thinking the difference in price and the positive reviews on performance are worth a chance for the Tru-Trac.

Good Luck!

ranger125 said:
hey fellas i am doing a full width hp 44 and 9 inch swap and i have been contemplating what locker to use . this rig gets alot of hiway use but isnt a dd but close , so i can get a detroit for 600 for the 9 and detroit lunch box for the front for 425 ,what do u think ?? also i dont wanna go aus locker cause of price and air lines . and also i need some ford 9 inch drum brake parts is there any other axle with simalar brake parts?? thanks fellas

the "aussie Locker" has seen better reviews than the detroit lunch box, and does not require air lines. It is a lunchbox locker, installs easily, and performs smoothly (from personal experience). It is also cheaper than most other lunchboxes out there.

The detroit in the rear is a solid choice.

Re: what locker to use ??and ford 9 inch brake question

What do you mean similar brake components? If you are just looking for a vehicle that hd a 9 inch, any older Ford 1/2 ton truck would have them.

The ford brake parts off of a '78-'79 bronco or F150 are about the cheapest you are going to be able to find, and available at any parts store or broncograveyard.com. Don't waste your time with junkyard brake parts.

Some old Lincoln Mark IVs had disc brakes on a 9" axle. They are hard to come across, and pricey if the person who is selling them knows what they are.

I'm running a detroit in the rear of mine and a tru-track up front. I've had it on some mild trails and was pretty pleased with them. The tru-track is quite a bit smoother and easier to drive with than the lunch box locker I had up front before, and allows me to run warn hub fuses so I can try to make the stock shafts last as long as possible. Haven't had it on any hard trails yet since the swap.

I am putting disks on my 9". you can either go with a late model ford explorer setup with the larger flanes, 3.25x2 i believe, or go to the junkyard and get them off an old lincoln, they are not that uncommon around here, usually one or 2 in the yard ant any given time

I ran a Lock-rite in the 8.8 of my FSB, then a Detroit when I put the 9" in. The Detroit was much more comfortable at a DD, though both lockers did what they were designed for. Like any autolocker, you do have to be careful in the winter. I am, however, more than pleased with the front and rear ARBs in the XJ, FWIW.

9" Detroit on ebay $200 - $250 run in race cars and works fine. I have had one in my 9" for over a year now and do drive it some on the street.

wow thanks a million fellahs, its not only the cost of and arb its the availability up in canada lol . so basically from what i am hearin the majority says detroit in the rear and a tru trac in the front . sounds like a plan to me . oh and the brake stuff i found because i was standing on the box i left them in, wow am i blind thanks amillion for the info guys as it helps tonns to have real life oppinions on this stuff

Ford SVO Motorsports makes a bolt on disc swap that is just like ZJ and 8.8 rear discs also.

Do a full Detroit in the front it is only $100 more... I am doing a the same swap in my rig right now... My buddy has the same setup I am going with, but before that had the lunchbox Detroit... It died a horrible death on Indy... He went with a full and never looked back...

Back