• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

okay now what do i change

slammed73sb

NAXJA Forum User
so i have been reading on here and talked to a few other jeep owners and i have come to the conclusion that my CPS was going out....so today i changed it and my jeep is still not wanting to start. i am still having to hold the gas pedal to the floor and it starts really rough and idles high for about 5 min then the rpm drop to about 600 and it is fine as long as i do not let it sit for more than an hour or so or it will do the same thing upon trying to restart. i diconnected the negative battery terminal for about 1/2 today to see if that would help i read somewhere that you had to do this to reset the computer after changing the CPS.

1992 Cherokee 4.0 2wd

anyone have any suggestions?????

Sounds like the CTS is stuck 1/2 way between cold and operating temp (had that problem before) What (double digit morse code) codes come up when you turn the key to on w/o cranking 3 times?

IAC sensor? troubleshoot that?

x2 IAC....

I dont know what a CTS is...but it doesnt sound like a CPS either - CPS bad, you'll just crank and crank and crank....let it sit for a while, then crank again and it may start....then just shut off at random. no rough idle or high idle...it either works or it doesnt (at least this is my experience).

I'd check/clean/replace your IAC (its on your throttle body), and while you're at it, check your throttle position sensor. AutoZone has new IACVs for like $45 IIRC....

oh gotcha :)

I hear CTS and i think Cadillac :)

Hardly! Enlisted military!!! :)

went to autozone to get hooked up to what codes come up but they didn't have the correct cable for an ODB 1 i have tried the key turn thing a few time and get nothing. maybe i will go try again later. i will go pick up a CTS tomorrow and change it. those are at the top of the radiator where the hose connects right. unplug unscrew and replace right??

Leaky injectors? You could hook up a fuel pressure guage and watch it as it sits. If the pressure bleeds down you've probably got injectors leaking into the intake.

Back