• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj door conversion

JeepinRU

NAXJA Forum User
how can i put pre 97 doors on a 97 xj?
my plan is to put the 97 hinges on the 96 door, but then im left w/ changing the door striker... do i have to weld new latch strikers on or can i just bolt on?
i've searched but not found much.

because i went doorless and i want some of those manual windows.
then i want to take the ol powerds and make em half doors. i after soldering all the 12 window wires together just to get them to work im sorta doubting the strength of the welds with heavy opening and closing actions

why don't you just find another door wiring harness and just start unhooking them at the kick panel. and on the back doors just add a trailer wireing harness to make it easy to unplug. Seems like that would be a lot easier than converting the doors. I plan to take my doors off in the summer and I'm just gunna add plugs where needed and unplug the front ons at the kick panels.

Mine do... theres 2 plugs that unplug behind the kick and you have to feed it thru the hole in the body... Tada! I'm not sure If the back doors unplug anywhere...

yo i found a set of manual crank doors for my 99 off a 97 with factory tint and all the glass was there! look around at junkyards... they were off a sport model

by set i mean all 4 doors

i have 3 doors from a 97 with manual windows/lock sittin that are good, the drivers door isnt because its my attempt to make half doors, but the hinges arnt the same so i'm doubting it, i got to change the hinges on the 97 to fit my 98

yah, pending the hinges are in the exact same spot i dont see a problem really... i talked to a guy at the dealer and he said all the doors are the exact same shape... just dont have the doors to test it on.... then after adding a new striker door will be fine... really a lot less work than everyone makes it out to be i think

JeepinRU said:
but what if i take the hinges off the 97 and put it on the 96 to match w/ my 97 that would work right?
you don't need to change the hinges. Drive the pin out and hang the other door. The only thing that changed in the fit of the door is the position of the striker and even that can be taken care of by redrilling the striker hole (you don't have to weld).

I've got all the hardware for manual windows and door locks from my 2000 4 door. I converted to power. The internals in the doors are the same across the years, just the wiring connectors changed. Email me if you want them, [email protected]

JeepinRU said:
i didnt know they made 97+ with manual doors?

My '97 has all manual stuff. It rocks to not have those things to worry about.

Back