• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Year models and OEM where to buy

TerryDean

NAXJA Forum User
I am still stuggling with getting my 2001 XJ 4.0 running after a cracked 0331. I have been web searching for parts but I'm also about to start salvage yard searching. Here are my questions that I need to be sure on:

-What years can I find an 0331 head on an XJ?

-What years can I find an 0630 head on an XJ?

-Can anybody say for sure that putting a '98 model head/header set will or will not work on my 2001?

-I know the head will be the same on a TJ for the same year, what about the exhaust manifold? For instance, if I find a wrecked 98 TJ can I take the head/headers, bolt them on and be done?

Thanks as always for any advise!
~TerryDean

terry,

I just completed this swap. Yes a 98 head will fit and bolt up fine to your block. Your 2001 exhaust wont work with it. Here is what i learned

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=935856

If you want to stick with an 0331 head look for one off a 2003-2005 TJ. There are very few, if any, reports of those later years cracking.

If you go with a 630:
- it can come off any 96-99

- you will need to get a new exhaust header and exhaust/intake gasket for a 96-99.

- you will need to have a new down pipe put in. The "Y" piece that tied them 2 together on your 01 will not match up. I had an exhaust shop do this. You might be able to find a pre-bent one that will bolt up, but that could be a lot of trips to the parts store.

- you need to fab up some brackets to stabilze the coil rail.

If you have any other questions, let me know if i can help.

I bought my new parts from worldpartsexpress.com. I got my head from adccylinderheads.com. Others have orderd from clearwater cylinder heads (cylinder-heads.com).

ixj

Back