• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Idle howl, need help

cw50must

NAXJA Forum User
Seeing if someone could help me narrow this down.
I have a high pitched howl coming from the front of my engine. It only happens at idle, atleast i can only hear it at idle, as soon as I give it gas it goes away, but then it may just be that I can't hear it over the engine noise.
Anyway, its towards the front, it is also intermitant, I have narrowed it down to the top, center, or passengers side. It seems to be the same with the ac on or off, and it is not the electrice fan.
My thoughts are water pump (6mos old), AC, or the mechanical fan. I loosened the belt to check for a wobbly pulley but found nothing.
Any Ideas on how or what else to check?

i've got something that sounds pretty close, i'm not sure what it is either. right now i'm leaning towards the mechanical fan.

My '95 YJ did the same, check the idler pulley ($15.00 +/-) near the A/C compressor, they will ware out and the bearings inside will "howl" you may also need to put on a new belt as well. hope this helps

use something (auto stethescope, hose, pipe, wooden dowel, etc.) to probe the engine bay until you find the noise.

dont forget to check your alternator
when them bearings start goin they will howl a little and then get louder as time goes on... then, you can gues what happens next

check around with the auto steth or a long crewdriver

Just an idea-Sure your belt wasn't loose or worn? Could definitely be an alternator, water pump, power steering pump, ac compressor.... If you haven't already, check the belt for wear, but I am sure you have. Stethescope is good too. No noise when you turn the wheel in the morning or night? Could be a loosely bolted throttle body too. If it were me..Check the belt and make sure it's tight, turn wheel right after first start of day (while still parked) to see if noise persists, check TB bolts, stethoscope.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
i had an odd howl from the passenger side near the front of the engine bay. it turned out to be the bushing going gone on a two month old rebuilt distributer. use a stethascope,screw driver or piece of wooden dowel/broomsticjk handle to locate the sound.

I have the same issue!! Mine mostly does it when in AC or Defrost mode!! Everyonce in a while it will do it when wet, cold or both! Have not had much time to investigate.

Back