• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken motormount

The Hard Struggler

NAXJA Forum User
Has any body used the M.O.R.E. bombproof blockplates for the motormounts? Today I found a broken bolt in the passenger side mount in the block.:mad: Has anyone broken the stock blockmount?

I watched an idiot launch his xj off a jump, probably got 6-8 ft air, came down flat and hard, ripped the rh mount right off the block, oil everywhere, we all laughed or asses off. idiot....

I haven't done it, but I've seen it. You have to bang them pretty hard, but it can be done without jumping it.

Here's what I did to mine, the M.O.R.E. product wasn't out yet, and the motor was on the engine stand so it was easy to do. It picks up the two bolt bosses in the block that are in front of the motor mounts, so goes from 3 bolts to 5 bolts. I just used a section of large angle iron welded to the motor mount bracket. With just the stock 3 bolts the force wants to twist up on the motor mount bracket, but this adds reinforcement more in line with where the force will actually be applied from a hard hit.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I ripped my drivers side off and it was a biotch gettin emm out... I went the Goatman Route but I helped a buddy install his M.O.R.E's and its was snap and they are some sturdy lookin peices. Well worth the price, the hastle of breaking them, even in a parking lot, is worth it

I had mud in a rim after wheeling which caused the worst death wobble I have ever had, it broke the RH mount off the block and took a big chunk of casting with it. I put a reman Mopar longblock in it under my service contract. I will be building mine up like Goatmans when I swap the engine into my MJ since I have a Borla header and the MORE blockplates won't fit with the header.

TNT said:
I had mud in a rim after wheeling which caused the worst death wobble I have ever had, it broke the RH mount off the block and took a big chunk of casting with it. I put a reman Mopar longblock in it under my service contract. I will be building mine up like Goatmans when I swap the engine into my MJ since I have a Borla header and the MORE blockplates won't fit with the header.

it was probably the wheelin that broke it, you'd be lucky to have teeth in your jaws if dw did it

bcmaxx said:
it was probably the wheelin that broke it, you'd be lucky to have teeth in your jaws if dw did it

The wheeling was just some smooth mud holes. It was the death wobble that did it. It made normal DW seem like an out of balance tire on a Lexus. It started in a turn and I couldn't stay on the road. The tires were actually leaving the ground I swear. I got it to stop after crossing 1 lane of traffic and getting 2 tires past the 1 car wide shoulder on the road into the ditch. It sounded like a gun went off. It broke before I left the road. I had about 2pounds of mud on the rims and was having some minor DW before I went wheeling.

Goatman said:
I haven't done it, but I've seen it. You have to bang them pretty hard, but it can be done without jumping it.

Here's what I did to mine, the M.O.R.E. product wasn't out yet, and the motor was on the engine stand so it was easy to do. It picks up the two bolt bosses in the block that are in front of the motor mounts, so goes from 3 bolts to 5 bolts. I just used a section of large angle iron welded to the motor mount bracket. With just the stock 3 bolts the force wants to twist up on the motor mount bracket, but this adds reinforcement more in line with where the force will actually be applied from a hard hit.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg
Are those holes already taped for bolts or did you have to do it yourself?

I had the factory block bolts shear off the passenger side before I ever wheeled my XJ. Replaced them with grade 8s and had them break about 2 years later. Replaced them all (both sides, just in case) with Unbrako SHCS about 5 years ago and haven't had a problem since (insert crossed fingers emoticon here).

I just recently removed my toasted stock motor mounts and replaced them with a pair of MORE ones. Very stout looking units, highly rated by everyone I asked. They do transfer a lot more vibration to the Jeep than the stock ones, so that's something you'll have to get used to. A few well-placed pieces of adhesice-backed foam on the cupholder and glove box door ledge take away some of the annoying rattle, turning the stereo up takes care of the rest. :looser:

It's easy to remove the bolts with reverse drill bit extractors.

Also check out these block mounts from T+J's

BIGGOZONGAS.jpg

XJSpencer said:

Also check out these block mounts from T+J's

BIGGOZONGAS.jpg
Removing the bolt isn't hard, just a pain in the butt.Do you have a link to T&J and can their mounts be used with headers?

The Hard Struggler said:
Never mind , found the link. Thanks

So can they be used with headers? Share the knowledge, or post the link for those of us computer impaired types. :)

The Hard Struggler said:
Has any body used the M.O.R.E. bombproof blockplates for the motormounts? Today I found a broken bolt in the passenger side mount in the block.:mad: Has anyone broken the stock blockmount?

are you wheeling your rig? is that the cause of the broken bolts? I'm hearing more than a few complaints about the brackets and bolts breaking/shearing and it's giving me concern. what kind of duty are your rigs seeing that causes these failures?

avnsteve said:
are you wheeling your rig? is that the cause of the broken bolts? I'm hearing more than a few complaints about the brackets and bolts breaking/shearing and it's giving me concern. what kind of duty are your rigs seeing that causes these failures?
When mine first failed it was a daily driver, never wheeled, with 52k on it. The last time I checked there were over 100 complaints with NHSA for this. It seems to be more common on 94-96, IIRC.

Starboard M said:
Are those holes already taped for bolts or did you have to do it yourself?

Those bolt bosses are already there in the block, threaded and ready to be used.

XJSpencer said:

Yes, but many times the bolt bosses themselves break off, or break out on one side, which ruins the block. If you just shear the bolts off you are lucky, others have not been so lucky.

It's good to know that T & J is also making better motor mount brackets. Two good sources if you can't or don't want to build your own.

Goatman said:
Those bolt bosses are already there in the block, threaded and ready to be used.

Yes, but many times the bolt bosses themselves break off, or break out on one side, which ruins the block. If you just shear the bolts off you are lucky, others have not been so lucky.

It's good to know that T & J is also making better motor mount brackets. Two good sources if you can't or don't want to build your own.

Mine ruined the block.....:flame:

Goatman said:
Very cool. Might have to look into that when I hopefully get around to putting in the new motor.

What are those bolts doing? Just sitting? Its been about two years since Ive pulled apart a 4.0, and having a very hard time remembering whats down there. That and I cant exactly go outside and look unfortunately. :shiver:

Back