• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what is it

My 98 does it too, who know what it is. So far it hasn't caused any problems and goes away after a while. I don't worry about it anymore.

Both my 97 and 98 do it.
It sounds like a squeak or a high pitch moan right?
Something rubbing at the base of the steering wheel itself?
Clockspring.

Last edited:
If you speak of a squeal type noise that seems to come from down near your feet somewhere its where the steering column goes through the fire wall and its the rubber seal, mine does it as well and it is cured by getting some silicone lube in there, havent done mine yet though I'm not that annoyed yet. Hope that helps

Mine is kind of lower pitched and it seems to only do it right as I am pulling out of the drive way then it goes away. It sounds like something is rubbing very lightly, there is no friction.

97XJ2 said:
If you speak of a squeal type noise that seems to come from down near your feet somewhere its where the steering column goes through the fire wall and its the rubber seal, mine does it as well and it is cured by getting some silicone lube in there, havent done mine yet though I'm not that annoyed yet. Hope that helps
That has to be it, I was going to say it sounds like something rubbing on rubber!

Mine goes away after everything is all heated up, I'll get around to it at some point even bought the silicone lube for it

xjet said:
My 2000 does the same thing. I just greased the sway bar bushings problem solved. White lithium greese seems to work the best.

So your steering wheel squeaks were cured by greasing the sway bar bushings?!?!?!

WOW!!! So I wonder if my oil leak will be fixed by checking the air pressure in my tires then!!! I'll have to look into that!

My 99 does the same thing when it's cold outside, mostly if I'm turning the wheel faster than normal. Doesn't do it enough to justify me looking into it, but I'm sure some lithium grease would cure it.

Back