• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 XJ erratic shifting at part throttle 25% or less

noaffiliationsti

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 89 XJ, just got it road worthy again after sitting for nearly 2 years. Now the problem I am having is going down the highway or at low speeds the transmission will downshift and occasionally shift into neutral when I am barely on the gas...probably 20% and less throttle (it seems to be a pretty consistant spot) If I give it more gas then it's fine. This all happens in Drive... i've tried 1-2 and 3 and it'll still do it. Fluid level is not low. Any ideas as to what may cause this?

Change your TPS (throttle position sensor). It most likely has a flat spot or is excessively noisey and/or that is affecting when the trans shifts.

Best regards,

CJR

well after some more driving... i think that could be it...because its only in spot on the throttle where it shifts funny and thats only if i ease into the throttle...if i give it some more throttle quickly the jeep runs & shifts fine

Back