• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TDS for 08

They knew that they were not going to be able to run at Truckhaven in '08 for some time now.
But there is good news, Truckhaven (as an off road site) could actually grow if purchase plans proceed as planned.
There is a meeting out here in Borrego tonight. I'll attend and post up any information I get.

Rick

ah they finally upgraded to a decent CMS website. I really hope to make this since I've never been to Ocotillo Wells. I loves me some truckhaven though.

Does the Ocotillo Well area have any good Karaoke bars around?

djblade311 said:
ah they finally upgraded to a decent CMS website. I really hope to make this since I've never been to Ocotillo Wells. I loves me some truckhaven though.

you're a DJ, YOU are the karaoke bar :D

djblade311 said:

It is across the highway from Truckhaven... the karaoke is the same. ;)

"Ice, Ice Baby..."

Yup its still going to be there....And Im there this coming 2008. Lets see what happens this time...

jeeperjohn said:
Everyone I know who went last year said it sucked. I don't plan to go, I'd rather go an extra 50 miles to Glamis!

You can still go to Truck Haven.... there will be plenty of folks there.... run down to O.W. get a shirt and/or do the run.... then back up to T.H.

Curt

4xSanta said:
TDS rocks,as far as wheeling I can think of many,many places I would rather be but I also enjoy the event,see ya there.......SANTA (party at my fire ring under the canadian flag)

Oh Canada! Ya' Ken I'll see you there, but this year I won't be getting in line!!

:D

jeeperjohn said:
Everyone I know who went last year said it sucked. I don't plan to go, I'd rather go an extra 50 miles to Glamis!

I Agree it SUCKED. Worst TDS in over a decade for me. I will never stay there again. In the past I paid in, for the raffle and the proximity to good off roading and good times. I guess I will not be doing that this year. I will just be camping out at truckhaven and enjoying the wheeling over there. OW had nothing worth a crap for me. Well wait there was a 200ft cravase that was extreamly difficult that 3 rigs were broken on, on sat night. But that was it.

Its a shame that they dont have a better attorney team with all the "donations" they have gotten over the last decades. I mean hell its only 45$ - 60$ ea registrated guest at the Safari, and at over 1500 reg last year and over 700 ea year for over a decate, thats only what $425,000 Just in TDS revenue. Given yes they donate a crap load to other orginizations to help keep our land open. I have to think though that they have gang load of cash on hand to hire the right team to keep that are avail to them and us...

Just my .02 sorry....

ROBERTK said:
I Agree it SUCKED. Worst TDS in over a decade for me. I will never stay there again. In the past I paid in, for the raffle and the proximity to good off roading and good times. I guess I will not be doing that this year. I will just be camping out at truckhaven and enjoying the wheeling over there. OW had nothing worth a crap for me. Well wait there was a 200ft cravase that was extreamly difficult that 3 rigs were broken on, on sat night. But that was it.

Its a shame that they dont have a better attorney team with all the "donations" they have gotten over the last decades. I mean hell its only 45$ - 60$ ea registrated guest at the Safari, and at over 1500 reg last year and over 700 ea year for over a decate, thats only what $425,000 Just in TDS revenue. Given yes they donate a crap load to other orginizations to help keep our land open. I have to think though that they have gang load of cash on hand to hire the right team to keep that are avail to them and us...

Just my .02 sorry....

I agree it's a shame that the off-road community can't get off their collective ass to fight land issues but they sure can bitch and complain about it.

karstic said:
I agree it's a shame that the off-road community can't get off their collective ass to fight land issues but they sure can bitch and complain about it.

As official land use coordinator for the Mayor of Truckhaven (Curt) it is my duty to inform you ignorant bastids WTF is going on.
Money is the issue. Not the lack of it but rather the abundance of what you lay people call 'Green Sticker' funds.
When lands became available for purchase in Truckhaven, the only state fund that had the money and was willing to pay for it was the Off Road Vehicle department. So they buy it.
But as a state operation certain things hadto be done before adding the land to Ocotillo Wells. An environmental impact report, historical landmarks etc. all need to be inventoried and reviewed.
Let me back track a moment. All the land we use and call Truckhaven was not and is not Federally managed. Lots of the land is/was privately owned.
Got it so far?
The purchase of private land by any state park system is a good thing, but it doesn't always mean that it can be instantly turned over for its intended use.
Now we have more good new in the works. More land is being made available to Ocotillo Wells SVRA. 4000 more privately owned land in Truckhaven is up for sale by a teachers pension fund. And if that land is added to OWSVRA it would most likely cause another year of running TDS's event out at Ocotillo Wells.
At this point lawyers (other than those involved in the purchase agreements) are not playing a big role in relocation of the event. I'm not suggesting that there will not be any challenges to the EIR when it comes out. But when the time comes, you are right, we and those that support us (Tierra Del Sol for instance) do have the money to fight the challenges.
It sucks that the event can't be headquartered out at Truckhaven, but Truckhaven is not closed and TDS can use our help.
The money won't be wasted.

Now stop your second rate snivlin' and make some plans to party in 'my backyard' the first weekend in February.

And Robert, you wine line a mule!!

Last edited:
OH...and Ken, I'll be in Utah most of the Chistmas break, then when I do get home I'll be taking the sand buggy out to the dunes until Jan 2nd.
But we will talk about a place to camp before TDS.

Rick

Jump This said:

And kick like one two :)

Seriously though u know as well as I do that a stay of execution was very possible last year, but they just caved and moved on to another location. And why?

I offered the experience and team work of orange counties record holding law firm in complex lit and business contract, but no one from the TDS club or their legal team even cared enough to make one call and see if it would help. They just let that resource (at a very discounted rate and free initial consult) pass by.
As for giving them my money, this year IF I do is now for my selfish reason of the raffle solely. All of the many years past it was for everything else and raffle last. These days I give to smaller clubs my money and time. Just feel when its personal its worth more to fight for and TDS might have lost some of that in My eyes.

Good luck though to Your efforts since u seem like the spokes person for them maybe ur time would be better spent lighting the fire under your groups butts so they will do Everything they can. Not just what they have been for years.

ROBERTK said:
Good luck though to Your efforts since u seem like the spokes person for them maybe ur time would be better spent lighting the fire under your groups butts so they will do Everything they can. Not just what they have been for years.

I don't think I even know anyone in the Tierra Del Sol group!
What I am is a local off-roader who gets a lot of first hand information
regarding state parks.
Even I wished they would have spent some time and effort on a challenge (they didn't even apply for a use permit last year.) But worse than that was the 'other group' (someone help me here, what is the name of the organization that has thier fund raiser out in Truckhaven?) that IS supposed to represent us in a legal challenge way, didn't even challenge the state to give them a permit for thier event.
Just remember, its not over. It maybe a couple of years before the event is held again in Truckhaven, but its not over.

Rick

Jump This said:
As official land use coordinator for the Mayor of Truckhaven (Curt) it is my duty to inform you ignorant bastids WTF is going on.
Money is the issue. Not the lack of it but rather the abundance of what you lay people call 'Green Sticker' funds.
When lands became available for purchase in Truckhaven, the only state fund that had the money and was willing to pay for it was the Off Road Vehicle department. So they buy it.
But as a state operation certain things hadto be done before adding the land to Ocotillo Wells. An environmental impact report, historical landmarks etc. all need to be inventoried and reviewed.
Let me back track a moment. All the land we use and call Truckhaven was not and is not Federally managed. Lots of the land is/was privately owned.
Got it so far?
The purchase of private land by any state park system is a good thing, but it doesn't always mean that it can be instantly turned over for its intended use.
Now we have more good new in the works. More land is being made available to Ocotillo Wells SVRA. 4000 more privately owned land in Truckhaven is up for sale by a teachers pension fund. And if that land is added to OWSVRA it would most likely cause another year of running TDS's event out at Ocotillo Wells.
At this point lawyers (other than those involved in the purchase agreements) are not playing a big role in relocation of the event. I'm not suggesting that there will not be any challenges to the EIR when it comes out. But when the time comes, you are right, we and those that support us (Tierra Del Sol for instance) do have the money to fight the challenges.
It sucks that the event can't be headquartered out at Truckhaven, but Truckhaven is not closed and TDS can use our help.
The money won't be wasted.

Now stop your second rate snivlin' and make some plans to party in 'my backyard' the first weekend in February.

FINE JOB !!! Official Land Use Coordinator...... Maybe you'll get something nice in your stocking this year other then the usual Lump-O-Coal !!:laugh3:

Seriously thou.... thanks for going to the meeting & the update.... I appreciate it....

Curt (aka The Mayor)

Back