• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranmission/T-case/Linkage?

jeepster91

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to try and explain a problem I have, it's not the easiest thing to explain but I'll give it a shot. After my last wheeling trip I had trouble shifting between 2 hi, 4hi, N, and 4L. Checked every typical thing out, visual inspection to make sure nothing looked bent or twisted....everything looked fine, tranny mount(good), engine mounts(good), linkage...this is where the problem is. It is not a problem with adjusting the linkage, that is fine. But where the problem occurs is where the linkage comes from where is is bolted to the unibody across into a hole/pivot point that is located on the transmission. Well the linkage has been pulled out of this hole/pivot point, not allowing me to shift from inside the jeep, I can however shift it manually. This hole/pivot point is on a plate that is bolted to the transmission. The part that is pulled out of the the hole/pivot point comes to a tapered point, but before that tapered point this is a notch. It looks to me and a buddy of mine that this tapered point should be through the hole/pivot point on the plate that is bolted to the transmission. Once it is through the hole/pivot point it appears as though there should be a c-clip that is put on the back side of the plate, where the notch is. If anyone has any idea what these parts are called or has a clue what I'm talking about, please speak up. The only problem I have is, there is no way for me to get this close to being lined up unless I have the crossmember completly unbolted. Which obviously presents a problem. So if I do manage to get it lined up somehow, where can I find out how to fix it, with what parts? If anyone can suggest anything else to look at, where something may have been tweaked or any thoughts at all let me know..thanks. I don't really want to take somewhere to get fixed, but right now I don't know what choice I have. Sorry for the long post and the possibly confusing explanation.

The only way it can come out is if the engine and trans moved side ways.
You can unbolt the bracket on the transmission or the floor and put it back.

The bracket on the tranny tunnel that holds the other end of that pivot holds it in a heim-type, orbital joint. If it's all crudded up, clean it all off and lube the snot out of it. Then you should be able to push the bracket far enough away from the tranny to pop it back into the bushing that's there. There are no clips that hold it, it just presses into the bushing (it should actually "pop" in there). If it's worn out (the rod doesn't snap into it), press it out with a pair of channel locks and replace it. It'll just keep falling back out if you don't.
HTH,
Jeff

I had the same issue on my 01. Over time 2 things happened. One was the vinyl bushing on the rod wore away. This was on the transmission mount side. The frame/unibody side just set into the bracket. The other problem was the angle. The tranny mount isn't level with the frame side mount.
The linkage would bind due to the offset and then fall out because the vinyl bushing was gone.
Here's what I did.
Pull the frame bracket. Need to lift the carpet to get to the bolts. This wil let all the linkage come out. The bushing just press in, so with a screw driver/pliers yu can undo what you need to. This will allow the whole assembly to be set on the bench toevaluate what is best. In my case I made a sleeve from a shock bushing that I put on the linkage rod on the frame side. I had to replace the bushing at the tranny end. Reinsatlled everything. The bushing of course retains the linkage end at the tranny and the bushing allows the rod to pivot/rotate with out binding.
Best advise is pull the frame side mount and look at it to figure out best fix.
HTH

Back