• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Rustys Coils - Leaning Hard

Mdub

NAXJA Forum User
Searched the site, nothing exactly what I was looking for.

Last night put two new 4.5" Rustys coils (150lb/in) on my XJ. Rear already has settled 4.5" leafs. Problem is new coils cause XJ to be 1" lower on passenger side. I've switched the coils and then driver's was 1" lower. Now I know that it is very common for there to be a difference in ride height initially, but 1" on a 4.5" leaf pack? Anyone ever seen a difference like that? I'm yet to drive it, because I didn't want to put it all back together until I got some opinions. Thanks.

This same thing happend to me. i put in my 2 inch shackle on the drivers side, then the passenger, and the passenger side was higher, much higher, and no amount of bounceing and trying to settle the vehicle would even it out. turns out that the driveway was slightly slanted. :banghead:

I actually have an adjustable RE trackbar. Also, I called Rusty. He said that 1" is no biggie if I haven't even driven it yet and that it would settle. Even driving with one inch difference is not a very comfortable idea, but I'm having trouble swallowing that one spring will settle a whole inch and the other none at all...

Mdub said:
I actually have an adjustable RE trackbar. Also, I called Rusty. He said that 1" is no biggie if I haven't even driven it yet and that it would settle. Even driving with one inch difference is not a very comfortable idea, but I'm having trouble swallowing that one spring will settle a whole inch and the other none at all...

put the tall one on the pass side, then the engine torque will push the body that way and it will have more force on it

just my thoughts my lean changes every wheeling trip but now it settled in with only a little bit of driver lean

My 3" lift from him leaned a bit but I can't recall how much. I had full leafs and stock trackbar. It finally did settle and sits even now (side to side). My issue was the coils sagged quite a bit. The full leafs netted close to 5". Right away I put .75" spacers in and it helped. I just put another set in a few weeks back.

Mine was fine with the 4.5" Rough Country lift and the track-bar drop bracket they gave me,but when I put the 6.5" coils in it,I had to get a new track bar cause the one in there was too short and wasn`t centering the axle correctly,and therefore was basically pulling the passenger side of the axle up towards the body.After I put the adjustable track bar in everything sat level.

Wow. I considered Rustys for quite awile before I finally went with OME shocks n springs. I put em on, and they were level from the getgo. That was back in 2002. Theyve yet to sag or settle at all, and I even jump sometimes.... (I get overzealous on the throttle over the whoops occasionally...) The reason I eventually didnt go Rustys is because of posts like this....

My 4.5" lift from Rustys is fine. Of course when I first sat it down it was like 8", then it settled down to a little under 6". But it was always dead on side to side.

Thanks for all of your comments. It turns out it looks like it is not the coils afterall. I switched them AGAIN and the passenger side is still lower .? What is causing this lean. Guys at Desert Rat took easy way out and guessed the frame is bent and that my old springs just grew accustomed. I doubt that. Their solution is to put a 3/4" spacer in the low side...I unwillingly agreed for now. They are doing an alignment now, so I'll let you guys know if they find anything else. Again, thanks for the the comments. And by the way, Rusty's is actually really good stuff. I love their soft spring rates.

X2 on letting them settle in. Load it up with gear, tool, and friends to get some weight in there. Then go to the closest wheeling place with your new suspension right away and articulate those axles for a while. That will settle those springs in right quick and shake out any bugs you may have. Also will make it ride better if it's a little stiff from the get go.

FOUND IT ... FOUND IT ... FOUND IT....
Not sure how it happened. The rear leafs were pretty new and hadn't settled. The extreme arch on them cause them to be kind of short from end to end. SO...the shackle on the driver's side was flipped forward. It took some muscle and ingenuity (both of which I'm short on) but I got it flipped back. Now I just need to exercise it so it doesn't try to go back.

Level as can be.

Back