• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Repairing the back hatch

clunk

NAXJA Forum User
I just backed down my driveway, slipped on some ice and 180'd into a tree, cracking the fiberglass rear hatch on my 1990. The window is still intact, and really I'm just dealing with around a 12" long crack in the 'glass. Can I just bondo it back up or does the back hatch flex enough that the bondo will just crack out constantly?

F#CK am I ever pissed off. I just drove a 500 mile highway trip without incident, the jeep ran like a top only to slip backing down the driveway and cause this damage...baaaah!

Sorry to hear about your misfortune...

I bondo'ed a crack on my fiberglass Bronco II hatch, but it didn't hold up...fixed it with a fiberglass repair kit for about $11 at Autozone...no problems yet...been a couple of years

i would go with fiberglass insted of bondo, but all the stress that it must endure i wouldnt gurantee anything. if it makes you feel any better i spent one evening showing all my friends my great driving skills in my car in high school, and afterwards during dropping the last one off i slid into a curb, and lets just say my 35's would have taken the incident a lot better, oh and make sure your supports lift evenly to keep from twisting

Drill small holes on either end of the crack to prevent it from spreading and then glass it. Just be careful when using the hatch not to put undue strain on it.

It should be alot easier to replace the hatch, then try to fix it. I wouldn't think it should be more than $100 at a salvage yard or post in the wanted section and see if anyone in your area has a parts rig with a good hatch.

a junkyard hatch is cheap.

thanks for the input, I'm going to try and repair it tommorow. I'm visiting my folks at the moment (hence the long drive), and my dad's pretty confident he can patch it the same as he does to a fiberglass boat. Keeping my fingers crossed since I don't want to deal with finding a new hatch at the wrecker and repainting it..

Back