• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A common oil leak?

Bluesisblood

NAXJA Forum User
My 88 Cherokee Pioneer 4.0 has an oil leak from a cracked manifold that is in between the valve cover and the air filter box.

Please forgive my ignorance but I do not know exactly what this manifold is called. It does, however have a few vac lines attached to it. Anyway, I have been told this is a quite common problem, so here's my questions...

What are my options for fixing?
Should I just go ahead and pay the $180 the dealer wants for a new one?
What was the factory's workaround on later models?

Thanks for all your help.
Blues

OK ur problem is blow-by typical 4.0L . Dont pay $180 for a new one, goto a wrecker and get used one. there is a fix for this if u can do ssome minor mechanical work.

87manche said:
Best case scenario you need to take the valve cover off anf throughly clean the ccv ports.
Worst case scenario your rings are worn and you've got combustion chamer gasses entering the crankcase.
Clean the vavle cover first
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/98/04_apr/valvecover/cover.html
if that doesn't do it then do compression checks and leakdown tests on the cylinders.

Last edited:
Back