• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine starts in P, runs in D, but stumbles, misfires in R

Sand-Dog

NAXJA Forum User
99 XJ Sport, auto, 6 cyl., no mods.

Truck starts and drives normally until you put it into reverse. Then the engine misfires, stumbles and dies. It won't run in reverse, but runs fine otherwise. Any thoughts on what tis may be? NSS? Help! (I did search...couldn't find anything on this issue...)

My 98 would run fine all day long, but if the engine was up to temp it would spit and stumble and the temp guage would peg when I put it in reverse, then it would just mysteriously go away. All I had from it was a check guages light because the temp pegged. Turns out the shifting of the engine when going into reverse had pinched the wiring harness that has the coolant temperature sensor. This eventually wore through the insulation, and was grounding out the wiring making all sorts of funny things happen. Only showed up when I put it in reverse. Worth a check?

Check your engine mounts and your CPS cable. I've seen the rotation of the engine make the CPS cable hit the exhaust manifold.

Followup for he archives:
Wasn't motor mounts, wasn't tranny mounts, wasn't chaffed wiring or bellhousing bolts. I wish it had been! It was the on-board computer crapping out. Those puppies are EXPENSIVE!

McQue,
I'll see if it is in the truck over the weekend. Normally the Jeep mechanic I use (on those rare occasions when it is something I can't do myself) returns the old parts.
Frank

dizzymac said:
Flexplate !!

Sand-Dog said:
Followup for he archives:
Wasn't motor mounts, wasn't tranny mounts, wasn't chaffed wiring or bellhousing bolts. I wish it had been! It was the on-board computer crapping out. Those puppies are EXPENSIVE!

Never heard of the "onboard" comp. doing that. Have had three (90'-91'-95') XJs that all had probs. in reverse,i.e-could idle in reverse,would not take gas, would stall. All three had bad flex plates, replaced flex plate, prob. gone.

Back