• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A few newbie questions

furrymcmonst

NAXJA Forum User
1.) What is the torque value for the oil pan drain plug?
I've searched high and low in the FSM and can't find the value listed anywhere. Before I did my first oil change, I noticed a little drop of oil at the plug. After changing the oil, I can still see a similar drip. I'm afraid to overtighten because I've stripped two other bolts recently. I just bought a torque wrench.

2.) Should the gasket on the oil pan drain plug be changed every time the oil is changed? If so, is this a standard gasket you can buy at any auto parts store?

3.) How much does the vehicle weigh?
I can't find this listed in the FSM, either. I want to buy a floor jack and jackstands but they are available at different ratings.

4.) Ramps vs. jack stands. Pros and cons.

Thanks.

i don't know how official these anwsers are but it's what i go by.
1) i have had a droplet of oil on the drain plug many times. i don't worry about it. tighten it down snug but not so much you can't get it back off.
2) are you talking about a little rubber O ring around the bolt? some of my vehicles have had them others not. if it's torn or pretty messed up i'd replace it. prolly like .50c at the hardware store.
3) i beleive a stock xj weighs around 3200-3500lbs. i weighed mine at a local truck scale a few months ago. i remember it being somthing like that.
4) i've used both. chock(sp?) the tires and set e-brake with both. somthing about the ramps just bother me though. i prefer stands.

hope some of that helped.

1) Tight enough so that oil doesn't leak out. (See #2 first)
2) Yes, it's called a crush ring. Replace them every now and then. I don't do mine every time I change the oil just because I don't have them lying around. Replace it and your oil "drops" will probably go away.
3) 4wd weighs in around 3400 I believe. Search on here, I remember a thread about everybody's XJ weight.
4) Seriously? If you need either one for changing oil, your Jeep isn't lifted enough. You can't remove your wheels when using ramps so if you are working on brakes or outer suspension...jack stands are better. If you don't have a need to remove the wheels...use ramps.

furrymcmonst said:
1.) What is the torque value for the oil pan drain plug?
I've searched high and low in the FSM and can't find the value listed anywhere. Before I did my first oil change, I noticed a little drop of oil at the plug. After changing the oil, I can still see a similar drip. I'm afraid to overtighten because I've stripped two other bolts recently. I just bought a torque wrench.

2.) Should the gasket on the oil pan drain plug be changed every time the oil is changed? If so, is this a standard gasket you can buy at any auto parts store?

3.) How much does the vehicle weigh?
I can't find this listed in the FSM, either. I want to buy a floor jack and jackstands but they are available at different ratings.

4.) Ramps vs. jack stands. Pros and cons.

Thanks.

1) 20 ft# as per Haynes page 1-3 of their repair manual

3) Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Cherokee_(XJ) it will also depend on modifications, engine, etc. it will also state a bunch of info on the door pannel seam- front driver's side like tire pressure recommendations and other factory stuff.

4) you can't do much to the vehicle on ramps i.e. brakes, suspension, or anything else that needs wheel removal. fine (if chalked) for changing fluids and inspections. if you have not already purchased ramps- go directly to stands. also- there's a danger that you may travel too far over them and off them (the ramps that is.)

I would recommend getting the large jack stands, because if you do lift in the future the small ones will not be high enough. Spend your money right the first time, so you don't have to spend more in the future.

Ramps vs Jackstands

You need both!

Ramps are great for getting up and under. The standard ones at AZ are plenty sturdy for an XJ. Most are rated for 5K+ as in per wheel, so 10K ought to do it.:lecture:

Can't hang wheels off them though, so if you're changing wheels or, as said, suspension parts you'll need jack stands anyway. Buy good ones.

Get the BIG jackstands - overkill in this area is definitely a good thing.

Curb weight 2wd = 2,891 lbs - 2,993 lbs
Curb weight 4wd = 3,057 lbs - 3,386 lbs

Change the gasket? Sure, or use plumbers tape on the threads. Been doing that for a few hundred thousand miles and it seems to be working.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back