• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clearcoat oxidation

xjpsych

NAXJA Member #657
Does anyone have a cure for clearcut oxidation, or a way to make it look better. I have an 89 Laredo (black) which has this problem. Any suggestions other than repainting?

There is no fix other than to sand it down and paint. I know that's not what you wanted to hear. It cost me $800 to have the hood and roof done on my '93 w/grey metallic.

Sand down and feather what you want, and rattle can it. DO a good job rattlecanning, youll spend maybe 20 bucks, but it will definitely look better than peelin clear coat.

Depending on how bad it is you might get away with wet sading it with a fine grit paper (2000 grit wet). Then using a buffer and a autobody grade of compounds , I use 3M products , and then use a heavy wax.

Welcome to club of lat 80's vehicle owners. The problem you describe is common across car lines. In order to meet EPA requirments paints were reformulated.

I have a 88 XJ and due to an accident it is getting a full body paint job. I think 19 year olds shopping and driving should be outlawed...

It was an extra $1000 to paint the whole vehicle over fixing the rocker panel, quarter panel and replaceing a back seat door. Tomorrow it goes into the paint booth.

They guys at my body shop told me the paint failure was caused in part by applying clear coat to the color coat before it dried.

With an inteact clear coat no problem, but when the clear coat fails in one spot then the atmosphere gets to the partially dried paint. You and I know what the results look like.

I had the same problem on a 89 Buick Century but it spent it's first 8 years in a garage so not until it was 12 years old did the paint begin to fail.

I hate sanding . . .

At least its black.

Thanks for the tips - it confirmed my suspicions.

Back