• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dexron-VI and filters in AW4

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I'm getting stuff together for a major tune-up of the beater I inherited and am looking at transmission fluids. The manual says the AW4 uses Dexron-II, which has been superceded by Dexron-VI as of last year. Anybody used it yet?

Also I noticed that rockauto shows two different kinds of filter packages--one is a kit that has some foam pads, the other is a more traditional looking filter unit. What's the story there?

Thanks

Dexron III is still available. Go with that... The only filter I have seen was the traditional looking one.

Dex-II was replced by dex-III. Dex-VI is altogether a differant fluid. It was designed for the newer 06-07 vehicles.

I have only used the dexron six in the gmc medium duty trucks for power steering fluid. you probably don't want to use it in the AW4 due to it is silicon based and the trans wasn't built for silicon based fluid

magimerlin said:
Dex-II was replced by dex-III. Dex-VI is altogether a differant fluid. It was designed for the newer 06-07 vehicles.
Dexron-VI obsoleted all instances of Dexron-III and prior uses, with the exception of some very specific models. The GM TSBs even say that it is only supported fluid for continued warranty maintenance.

It's different stuff but it's backwards compatible. Almost every comment I've read about said much better shifting after the Dex-3 was fully purged.

Here's another motivator from the Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF product page:

Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF is a premium synthetic blend lubricant recommended for automatic transmissions and other applications that require a fluid satisfying Ford's Mercon V specification. It is also recommended for applications where a Ford Mercon type fluid is recommended. Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF is recommended by ExxonMobil for use in GM vehicles, 2005 and earlier.

Mobil DEXRON-VI ATF is recommended for 2006 and newer GM vehicles and for improved performance in 2005 and earlier GM vehicles, wherever DEXRON is specified. Additionally, Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF is suitable for use in both newer and older Chrysler automatic transmission applications.

I would probably buy the Valvoline stuff, but it's interesting that Mobil says Dexron VI is for "improved performance" over their own blend.

I put the Dexron VI in yesterday. Shifts from 1st to 2nd are still a little hard but the other shifts are like butter now. I'm going to drop the pan and install a Wix filter kit (making sure to get the remainder of the old stuff out) but so far so good.

For some reason the automakers are pushing towards "one fluid to rule them all". Even Chrysler changed their tune and put out a TSB recommending ATF+4 for the AW4, despite many reports of using ATF+4 or synthetic causing shifting problems. My guess is Chrysler only wants to stock one fluid.

lawsoncl said:
For some reason the automakers are pushing towards "one fluid to rule them all". Even Chrysler changed their tune and put out a TSB recommending ATF+4 for the AW4, despite many reports of using ATF+4 or synthetic causing shifting problems. My guess is Chrysler only wants to stock one fluid.

TSB 21-010-06
"NOTE: This Service Bulletin DOES NOT apply to AW-4 transmissions"
According to this TSB, we stick to DIII.
Do you have a newer TSB that says otherwise?

falcon556 said:
TSB 21-010-06
"NOTE: This Service Bulletin DOES NOT apply to AW-4 transmissions"
According to this TSB, we stick to DIII.
Do you have a newer TSB that says otherwise?

TSB 21-014-07 October 16, 207

NOTE: **AW-4 (Asian Warner) transmission are now included in this Service​
Bulletin. ATF+4® is recommended for AW-4 (Asian Warner) transmissions**

jaburk said:
NOTE: **AW-4 (Asian Warner) transmission are now included in this Service Bulletin. ATF+4® is recommended for AW-4 (Asian Warner) transmissions**

Thanks for the info, I'm planning to do a complete fluid change in one of my XJs and another one later. I can now use the same fluid in all my trannies and transfer cases.
One question: Is ATF+4 synthetic? Some time ago I found some Chrysler specs that said it is.
I have not found any other reference since then.
In fact I am reaching the conclusion that it is not.
Anybody know for sure?

Last edited:
jaburk said:
TSB 21-014-07 October 16, 207

NOTE: **AW-4 (Asian Warner) transmission are now included in this Service​

Bulletin. ATF+4® is recommended for AW-4 (Asian Warner) transmissions**

I have been running the Valvoline+4 for almost a year now and my AW4 seems to love it!! Bought my heep just over a year ago and flushed it myself putting in the +4.

just noticed this the other day when I was at autozone, the only dex-III they carry now is Costal brand and everything else is dex-VI... I was like "WTF happend to dex-IV and dex-V, and where's my GD dex-III :huh:"

looks like it might be time to stockpile some dex-III at least till some solid evidence comes out that shows dex-VI is okay for the AW4 :banghead:

I'm just gonna run Amsoil tranny fluid and never look back....

I used the Mopar ATF+4 for a while and I noticed that the trans worked good at first but after about siz months I noticed the overall performance starting to decline. I then switched back to DEX and always use quality WIX filters and I the trans performance has been perfect since then. Now I think that the fact that my trans was run with DEX from the begining of its life may have something to do with it but I would say that if your trans has been running on DEX keep it that way unless you have a complete flush to get every last drop out so you can have a fresh start. Regardless of what fluid you use always use a high quality filter. Whatever you do I hope all goes well-Kelvin

Back