• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

General NP231 Question

kdailey4315

NAXJA Forum User
With the NP231 I have read that it is not good for the TC to drive on dry pavement in 4HI. It has to be icy/snowy. How is that different then driving offroad on dry land? Why does driving on driving on pavement burn out your 231 but not driving on dry dirt and rocks?

A 231 in 4Hi sends equal power to both axles. when you go around a turn on dry pavement the inner tire takes a smaller turning radius than the outer's. It will drive like sheet and eventially break or wear out stuff.

It says icy/snowy or slippery conditions because it will not bind the axles and u-joints when turning. The ice/snow/rain allows slippage of the tires to lessen the stress on your driveline. This is the same on a dirt road because you have way less traction on dirt, than on asphalt.

kdailey4315 said:
I understand that but how is that different that when you turn while offroading?

Plain & simple, off road, ice, snow, mud, rock crawling alows for slippage. You don't have that on dry pavement.

How does the 231 compare to say an '84 toyota truck t-case or other common t-cases used? I had a yota 4x years ago and used to shift on the fly into 4wd on rainy days (mostly just because I could, didn't really need it) But I never noticed a problem.

Is the 231 considered a more positive lock than many t-cases. Mine doesn't seem to shift on the fly real smooth.

Do you think wet asphault is enough slippage to shift into 4wd?

88trail - I wouldn't use 4wd in a 231 on wet roads. I doesn't give enough slippage.

Well, I would say it depends on how bad the arin is. If it's just sprinkling, keep it in 2wd...but I've been in situations where there's standing water on the streets and hydroplaning is a very real danger, so I use 4hi in those cases. Other than that, or snow or ice, don't use it on the street!

the_weirdo said:
88trail - I wouldn't use 4wd in a 231 on wet roads. I doesn't give enough slippage.

Yeah, I wasn't planning on using it on road rain conditions, I was just trying to learn a bit more about the XJ set up. I used to shift on the fly in my Yota all the time with no ill effects. Just wondering what the differences were between the two set ups.

Back