• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom Cowl Induction Pics

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
last year as a project for my composites class, i built a mold for a fiberglass/ carbon fiber cowl induction scoop. this is just a rough first model but my final one will be made out of red/ black carbon and polised/ buffed real smooth:2thumbsup:
Just curious to see what you guys think. should definitely help with under hood temps ha ha. i didn't intend for it to be quite so tall but it grew by the time o got the mold finished. do you think anyone would be interesting in buying them? i could probably get them out the door for $150-$250 depending on which materials....
here are some pics of the first scoop. It was cut short but the mold goes past the back of the hood. for the final ones, i'll be cutting a half circle into the back and leaving some overhang so it hugs the windshield a little better and it's not just a boring flat edge back. i also noticed that it was shifted to one side when i took the pictures so it didn't sit perfectly flush but it will, i used a cherokee hood to make the mold...

004ev9.jpg

005rp3.jpg

006zp4.jpg

007uj0.jpg

013aj0.jpg

014yp2.jpg

024ph0.jpg

009kk4.jpg

008hf7.jpg

the cowl is not big enough

there are not enough stickers

the bumper is too small

and the flairs are not wide enough

man - honestly- it is a good start but looks goofy that tall

That is one huge bitch! I would think that you would need to scale it down a bit to get much interest in it. And in the current height/bolt on style, a guy can buy a plastic snow sled and cut the end of of it for about $8 and have just about the same set up. :skull1:

Why so tall? 2 inches would look hot, but that thing is what? 4 inches?

it wasn't supposed to be that tall... but stuff happens. i think 2.5-3" would be sweet. oh well, it'll give me plenty of room for that 360 with a blower... I wish ha ha.

you're right, i probably could have bought one off quadratec and maybe it would have looked better but i'd rather spend time on something and have the satisfaction than spend my money on a bolt-on accessory anyday. i don't really build my rig to satisfy anyone but myself so i'm not worried about it and i appreciate your honest opinions... but like i said, i'd rather have a lesser product that i built myself than a bolt on anyday:cool:

I appreciate the hard work and making something yourself, but it reminds me of a boat. If it were not as high, I think it would look better.

i have spent many tedious hours working on things that most people will never even notice or care about. it's not about how many things i can bolt on or how many of my hard earned bills i can throw at my rig to impress people... it;s about doing what i want to do and feeling good about it:looney:

I say go for whatever makes you happy; take pride in your creativity. I do think if you want to make some loot off them you're going to have to lower it 3" or so. I am lmao at xj&tj4me's comment, tho:).

the flares are far from a cosmetic add on. i don't really like them but i didn't have a choice after being pulled over 7 times in one month and having my vehicle searched twice. the local pd said if they saw it anywhere near the road again, the were going to tow it because i was running flareless with 12.5's and they have nothing better to do than ride my ... so, on went the un godly flares. but, the way i see it, goofy flares or goofy stock tiresparty1: and there was no way that i was ever going to doll out the $$$$ for bushwhackers. i got those flares for about $100. and those baby's are pretty flexible and they have a huge mounting flange which has many, many rivets with washers to keep them right where they ought to be:)

Good job on the glasswork. I'm sure most in here teasing your work have never worked with fiberglass. It does kind of look like snow sled though. :) You XJ is a beast! The cowl definitely fits the look...

I really like the front bumper. Alot.

As for the cowl... it could be a little shorter, but it fits the look of your jeep.

Your jeep sort of reminds me of an armored attack vehicle for some guerilla warfair team. It looks killer. Mount a couple machine guns on the hood, and holy hell, you got a fightin' machine!

Last edited:
Back