• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intake manifold gasket

Jump This

Just another minion!
How long does it take to replace an intake/exhaust manifold gasket, and what should be exspected?

Okay, now the 'why' of asking this basic question.

My son's Cherokee has developed a fuel leak, he has inspected the problem and believes in is from the manifold (I'm not convinced but I need to be prepaired for a replacement.) He lives 90mi. from here and I need to head over there ready for the worst.

I don't like leaving my own garage to work in a garage that probably doesn't have anything but a butter knife and some bailing wire (maybe some duct tape!)

The goal would to be getting it fixed, but if that is unrealistic (I only have this afternoon to complete the repair) I will need to band aid the problem until he can bring it out here next weekend.

Oh, its an '88 (Renix)...

Rick

In my experience when the manifolds come loose, the bolts need to be re torqued, if it is in effect the manifold gasket. Most times when the gasket (bolts) get loose the idle goes up.
Most likely if it's leaking fuel, it's coming from someplace else (injectors, fuel rail or quick connects).
Watch the end studs when re torquing, it really doesn't take much to snap one off. I oil then up good, work the nut right and left and if it proves to be too difficult, just leave it. Most of the sealing is on the inner bolts anyway.
Tightening the bolts is a two man job (the easy way). One guy to talk you on the bolts (with a flashlight) and/or to give a little help from below when possible.

Is he getting noise from the leak (sounds like cracked exhaust)? If it is just a fuel leak, chances are it is from the injectors. You should hit a salvage yard and grab some 19# Ford injectors (which are one piece and less likely to leak) to replace them with....and some new o-rings.
If you are going to replace the gasket, be prepared to replace some old vaccum lines.

Bring lots of extensions and swivels. Those lower manifold bolts can be difficult to get to.

Also, for the leak, check where the fuel line connects to the rail. The plastic clips and o-rings can wear out.

Last edited:
my 88 xj had same problem drove it home 50mi spitting gas on manifold. Had extinguisher ready didnt need it. checck fuel rail. The o ring seals in the fuel line quick connects or on the injectors are probably shot. replace all of them and quick connects. Only place I found the parts was the stealership.

Shit....I'm at my son's place and the leaks are from the injectors. It looks like the seals are bad, and there is no place around to pick new ones up on a Sunday....
Or does places like Kragen stock this type of part?

Jump This said:
Shit....I'm at my son's place and the leaks are from the injectors. It looks like the seals are bad, and there is no place around to pick new ones up on a Sunday....
Or does places like Kragen stock this type of part?

If it is leaking around the seals just replace them(there are 2 per injector, top and bottom) but chances are it is leaking around the body of the injector where the metal meets the plastic. Also check the seal at the pressure reg where it meets the rail and as said in a previos post, the disconnect "O" rings.

If you buy the injector "O" ring kit from the dealer it will have 13 seals, 2 per injector and one for the fuel reg. if you buy the disconnect "O" rings get them from the dealer as well and they will be installed on a loader tool to put them in with. They are about $13 per line at the dealer, you will need one for the supply line and one for the return line.

If you have to replace the injectors go with the Ford units, they are much cheaper and work better.

xjtrailrider said:
If it is leaking around the seals just replace them(there are 2 per injector, top and bottom) but chances are it is leaking around the body of the injector where the metal meets the plastic. Also check the seal at the pressure reg where it meets the rail and as said in a previos post, the disconnect "O" rings.

If you buy the injector "O" ring kit from the dealer it will have 13 seals, 2 per injector and one for the fuel reg. if you buy the disconnect "O" rings get them from the dealer as well and they will be installed on a loader tool to put them in with. They are about $13 per line at the dealer, you will need one for the supply line and one for the return line.

If you have to replace the injectors go with the Ford units, they are much cheaper and work better.

It was leaking around the seals at the rail. I only see the one seal on that side of the injector. Since I couldn't do a damn thing about replacing them today, I wiped a small amount of silicone around the seal and reinstalled...
Yeah, I know, kinda' hack, but there is realy nothing to lose...
If they don't seal, I'll have it towed back home (90mi) and if it sort of works he might be able to drive it home on Friday.

Thanks for the help.

Rick

Back