• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear defrost problem

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My 99 XJ's rear defrost pane doesn't seem to work. The switch illuminates when I push it and my heated mirrors work, it's just the grid on the back window that doesn't. I figured if there was a broken wire the switch wouldn't illuminate but that's about all I can think it would be. Has anyone else had this problem? Possibilities?
Thanks in advance,
Collin

The grid on the glass may be broken. It they are broken at any point, that section may not work. They sell repair kits, but good luck if you have adhesive tint.

One of the wires soldered to my glass broke off. Been like that for more than a year.

I tried some permatex adhesive for repairing rear window defroster tabs. That made the wire stick but didn't apparently help the wire to conduct electricity.

And I don't know...for some reason, it seems like none of it works. The wires at both sides are good and are still soldered to the glass. I suppose I should still check within the grid for breaks though? I'll look tomorrow and report back. If anyone else has suggestions, that would be fantabulous.

Blaine B. said:
Do you have a meter?

Check continuity across the grid when the rear defroster is on.

Hopefully it's not getting currant. Then that'd lead you to wiring!
Oh yeah I've got a multimeter, I guess that would make sense. Just probe both of the soldered terminals right?

Blaine B. said:
Do you have a meter?

Check continuity across the grid when the rear defroster is on.

Hopefully it's not getting currant. Then that'd lead you to wiring!
Oh yeah I've got a multimeter, I guess that would make sense. Just probe both of the soldered terminals right?

Back