• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Bearing Problem...Please Help!

99xj4.0

NAXJA Forum User
About a week ago, I noticed a very faint grinding noise. I thought it was coming from the A/C compressor or the alternator. Its gotten progressively worse and at this point is pretty loud.

Today I loosened the belt and turned every pulley by hand. The alternator pulley spins freely, as well as the water pump pulley, idler pulley, PS pulley, and fan pulley. The A/C pulley is pretty hard to turn - although I could turn it with my hands. It doesn't seem to be grinding/clicking or wobbling. Should it turn as freely as the other pulleys, or is it supposed to be hard to turn?

After searching around for a long time in the forum, I've found that there are two sets of bearings. One for the A/C Clutch and one in the compressor itself. Which set of bearings does this sound like? Am I good to replace the clutch, or do I have to replace the whole compressor?

Its a 99 4.0.

Thanks so much for your input!

99xj4.0 said:
About a week ago, I noticed a very faint grinding noise. I thought it was coming from the A/C compressor or the alternator. Its gotten progressively worse and at this point is pretty loud.

Today I loosened the belt and turned every pulley by hand. The alternator pulley spins freely, as well as the water pump pulley, idler pulley, PS pulley, and fan pulley. The A/C pulley is pretty hard to turn - although I could turn it with my hands. It doesn't seem to be grinding/clicking or wobbling. Should it turn as freely as the other pulleys, or is it supposed to be hard to turn?

After searching around for a long time in the forum, I've found that there are two sets of bearings. One for the A/C Clutch and one in the compressor itself. Which set of bearings does this sound like? Am I good to replace the clutch, or do I have to replace the whole compressor?

Its a 99 4.0.

Thanks so much for your input!

I assume that you had the engine of the ignition key out.
If so, the pulley should be free like the rest.
I had the same pulley go during the summer.
Replaced the compressor and fixed the problem.
As you can see, the compressor is pretty easy to replace yourself.
Then go to an A/C shop and have them vacuum and charge the system. The only tricky part is the compressor oil. Read the instructions.

99xj4.0 said:
About a week ago, I noticed a very faint grinding noise.
There is a test that will tell you if the pulley bearing is toast.
Turn the A/C on, if the noise stops, it's the pulley bearing.

x2. I replaced my compressor in October with one from a low mileage 96 at the local PnP.

When the A/C clutch was engaged (A/C on) the howl/whine would get quieter.

99xj4.0 said:
Thanks guys - I'm gonna go by the junkyard tomorrow. What compressors are compatible w/ a 99?

Are you sure you want a junk yard compressor?
They are not cheap, OTOH I think it is worth the peace of mind. Unless you have your own vacuum pump, it is a pain and an expense if you have to redo it.

On the 2000, I got a brand new AC delco compressor for like $300. Loosen the belt, four bolts hold the comepressor and one bolt holds the suction/high pressure manifold.

Easiest comepressor I ever changed.

A low mileage XJ shouldn't have any compressor problems. And based on the fact that a new one can be $250-300 I'd opt for a $40-50 junkyard compressor. I'm sure some can agree.

what if the noise is only when the a/c is on?

Blaine B. said:
Probably the clutch bearing then.

Disagree. I believe that noise with A/C off that disappears when you turn it on means the bearing in the clutch the pulley uses.
Noise when A/C on means the compressor itself (shaft bearing, pump etc.)

if the noise stops when the clutch is engaged (just put it on the MAX AC setting)... then it is the Clutch bering.. I replaced mine this summer.. I would assume this is what you need based on what you have said... $25 and a simple puller :)

Don't throw money at it until you are sure what the problem is. Spend $2 or $3 on an auto stethescope and make sure where the noise is coming from. Then throw money.

Follow up: I went to a local parts recycling yard - paid $80.00 for a clutch out of at 2001 cherokee. I swapped the compressor out myself and am gonna take it to a local a/c shop for vacuum/refill. The old compressor clutch is almost impossible to turn by hand. I know the compressor works great though - any body wants it to replace the clutch on, I'll let it go cheap.

Back